Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 with CAI and 91 performance tune. Hard to get traction in 1-2 gear on dry pavement. Near impossible on wet unless I accelerate very slowly. Impossible on ice. I've heard Nittos are good? Is this a combination of how light the car is and stock tires? Tread looks good on tires btw.

·
Registered
461 Posts
No your problem is street tires on a performance tune. Your pro tune is more than likely track ready tune, with high shift points and lots of low end take off power to help launch the slow 6 off the line and into the power band.

First thing is don't look at every stop light like a drag tree. Your wallet will thank you.
Second look for a bad ass GT and find the tires he has, copy those. Your 6 doesn't produce even close to the power the GT prolly does so the tires should help you grab the ground and hold it, also may want to look into a suspension upgrade and a lighter foot.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
No your problem is street tires on a performance tune. Your pro tune is more than likely track ready tune, with high shift points and lots of low end take off power to help launch the slow 6 off the line and into the power band.

First thing is don't look at every stop light like a drag tree. Your wallet will thank you.
Second look for a bad ass GT and find the tires he has, copy those. Your 6 doesn't produce even close to the power the GT prolly does so the tires should help you grab the ground and hold it, also may want to look into a suspension upgrade and a lighter foot.
his v6 doesn't have the power a 99-04 v6 has let alone a GT...

@ the op...any good directional will be fine...however if you wanna get a nice tire for the rear look into nitto 555's..hell even nexen 3000s launch fine at the track

·
Registered
730 Posts
i have nexen 3000's and their great in the rain. havent had them at the track... ( no point on a stock 6er) but i take off in the rain and where i used to slide allover i dont anymore so im guessing if the tires have good wet traction then the dry traction is going to be good and their an AA traction rated tire.. for fairly inexpensive.

and they look cool :rockon

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
i have nexen 3000's and their great in the rain. havent had them at the track... ( no point on a stock 6er) but i take off in the rain and where i used to slide allover i dont anymore so im guessing if the tires have good wet traction then the dry traction is going to be good and their an AA traction rated tire.. for fairly inexpensive.

and they look cool :rockon
yeah..i had 275/40's on my old starfish wheels and they ran me $250 mounted and balanced for the rear of my car...they did good at the track as well...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm not sure why you're having traction problems, you really don't have much power to put to the ground.

Any performance tire will give you better traction on dry pavement but at a certain point you trade a lot of wet traction for it. My Nexen N3000s do okay on dry pavement and really good on a wet road compared to most performance tires.

What tires do you currently have and how much tread is left?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
@ the op...any good directional will be fine...however if you wanna get a nice tire for the rear look into nitto 555's..hell even nexen 3000s launch fine at the track
This

Any performance tire will give you better traction on dry pavement but at a certain point you trade a lot of wet traction for it. My Nexen N3000s do okay on dry pavement and really good on a wet road compared to most performance tires.
This as well. My Sumitomos are a bit scary in the rain.

What tires do you currently have and how much tread is left?
+1. You shouldn't be spinning your tires easily with a very lightly modded single port V6 and good tires.

Also, how are you losing traction so easily? With 4.10s, tlok, exhaust, CAI, and a 93 octane performance/race tune (whatever Bamas "high end" one is) I have no problem keeping traction on my Sumitomo HTR Z IIs. I can break them loose if I want to but knowing how to take off properly helps a lot, especially for daily driving. Mashing the gas pedal to the floor at every stop light is going to kill your gas mileage and there is a possibility of spinning your tires. And for ice/snow, you'll need a set of all-season or winter tires and 200lbs of sand in the trunk. On all-seasons, I have to feather/slip the clutch like crazy and start in second gear to take off. I've spun out shifting into 3rd gear at 25mph and slipping the clutch like crazy on some fresh snow. Our cars weren't built to be driven in the snow so it takes some skill to keep control.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually happens in the rain. I'm not mashing the gas pedal either. I'll accelerate normally and spin like crazy, but not at take off. At about 2800 rpms, i lose traction and its shoots up to to almost 4000rpm. Sounds like I'm flying but I gain no speed, just spinning in place. It doesn't happen on dry pavement often but when I first got my tune it did, then I got used to it. The tread looks great and they're stock tires I assume, not sure of the measurements.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
sounds like there might have been a slight tuning error somewhere along the lines...because you're car has nowhere near the power to normally have these problems...again my GT didn't even have these issues

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Usually happens in the rain. I'm not mashing the gas pedal either. I'll accelerate normally and spin like crazy, but not at take off. At about 2800 rpms, i lose traction and its shoots up to to almost 4000rpm. Sounds like I'm flying but I gain no speed, just spinning in place. It doesn't happen on dry pavement often but when I first got my tune it did, then I got used to it. The tread looks great and they're stock tires I assume, not sure of the measurements.
Are you sure the tires are spinning? It sounds to me like a tuning issue (as 6er said) or a transmission problem. I know Demon was having a little issue with his car suddenly revving way up without accelerating any more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I was worried about that too but I rolled the windows down and I can hear them spinning. maybe ill resent it to factory or something then re-tune.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
yeah I was worried about that too but I rolled the windows down and I can hear them spinning. maybe ill resent it to factory or something then re-tune.
Take it for a drive with the factory tune on and see if you can get it to do it again. A 91 octane tune shouldn't be giving you anywhere near enough power to spin your tires while driving normally.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Your tires must be almost BALD to be spinning in a 96, that or your doing 6k clutch dumps every time you move :p

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
BFG G-force KDW2 or GTFO!!!

On stock suspension I could turn at 65 mph and it would through me out of my seat. The car was planted!!!

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
BFG G-force KDW2 or GTFO!!!

On stock suspension I could turn at 65 mph and it would through me out of my seat. The car was planted!!!
KDW's took my buddy's traction problem in his srt away. They are the **** for traction..

OP

Take the donuts off of the rears;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts