Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife drove my 1990 mustang gt to the store and the clutch cable broke while driving, I had it towed back the house and put a new cable in it and tried to start it, instument panel lights up gauges work but won't turn over. So I jumped it by the solenoid and it cranked up and ran drove it down the street came back and put a clutch safety switch in it. Still won't crank except by jumping the solenoid! What should I do next? Ignition switch maybe? It's just crazy, it cranked just fine until the cable broke!

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
may have to loosen the cable up a little so the pedal gets full travel. pedal may not be hitting the switch. I just broke mine too but it went back together with no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
how do I loosen the cable? I still have the factory quadrant (self ajusting, they say) I did notice though the pedal was tight with no play at all in it, but I can still get the pedal all the way to the floor.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
was there a nut and a jam nut down at the transmission fork? if there was, loosen those up. If you have a cable that doesn't have the adjustment threads down there, you may have to get another one from summit. 43.00. shipped for 53.00 ford wanted 113.00 for it.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
oh, there is a way to un adjust the self adjuster in the quadrant too but you will have to search for it... that may be your ticket right there. i have an after market quadrant and have no idea how to un-adjust it. do a search for it or google it. i know i read about it before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll try google and I appreciate the responses. Good lookin out! I dont have any adjuster on the fork, I still think it has something to do with that safety switch on the pedal which is a pain to take off and put back on by the way, like maybe its not fully engaging the switch but I can get the pedal to the floor. I guess I'll have to have my wife push the pedal while I try and look up in there and see what its doing. When I get a day off I might just go ahead and put one of those metal quadrants on with a firewall adjuster!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
All you gotta do is find the switch, and push it from behind twards the pedal, it is adjustable, then after a few engagements of the clutch will be good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
problem solved!! had a friend come over with a meter and traced it back to a toggle switch that was installed under my dash from a previous owner from a car alarm or anti theft. I bumped it in the off position when I was installing the new cable, thus preventing the car from starting. I felt so stupid when I found it but relieved at the same time!!! I wanna thank everyone for taking their time to give me advise, maybe I can return the favour one day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts