Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99 v6, 5-speed manual. She is completely stock and I've had her for two years. I want to do something to it, but I don't know what. I am getting a mach 1 lip, gt rear bumper, and smoked tail lights put on Monday. That will be the first thing I've done to the car since I've had it, but that's only for exterior look. What I'm really talking about is performance. I would like it to sound like a v8. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I recommend you start by reading through this thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/79395-look-here-before-asking-about-mods.html

From there, figure out exactly what you plan on doing with your car (drag, autocross, daily driver, etc). And the only way to get your car to sound like a V8 would be to swap in a V8. The 4.6 engines are odd firing and our 3.8s are even firing. We cannot achieve the same sound as them, but if you take a peek at the exhaust thread you'll be able to get an idea of what sounds you can get out of your car. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/79415-official-v6-exhaust-thread-clips.html

Also, welcome to MM :wave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H pipes sound better but don't x pipes produce more power? I am planning on getting flowmaster 40 chambered mufflers, however I'm not exactly sure what divorced thrush welded means. And what are ss tips?

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
H pipes sound better but don't x pipes produce more power? I am planning on getting flowmaster 40 chambered mufflers, however I'm not exactly sure what divorced thrush welded means. And what are ss tips?
let me break it down for you...

1. prochamber = tits, but you'll have an easier time getting an hpipe fabbed

2. you won't notice any power difference with any midpipe you put on your car, even fireing car means it's just about how the sound is different...so no worries there

3. flowmaster 40's are nice...i've had a few of them..thrush welded mufflers are another brand of mufflers...same internal two chamber build for half the price

4. divorced means no mid pipe...so if you didn't get either a prochamber, h, or x you'd have divorced when you go dual (unless you go with a y pipe setup lol)

5. SS = Stainless Steel...which means they cost more but will last longer then your cheaper chrome tips...if you do have a GT bumper installed 3.5" tips are a great fit for it

i hope that helped a little

---------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got a '99 v6, 5-speed manual. She is completely stock and I've had her for two years. I want to do something to it, but I don't know what. I am getting a mach 1 lip, gt rear bumper, and smoked tail lights put on Monday. That will be the first thing I've done to the car since I've had it, but that's only for exterior look. What I'm really talking about is performance. I would like it to sound like a v8. Any help would be much appreciated.
^, x2 on 6er's.
Its really up to you, you could do a million things from the smallest to the craziest, ill personally be starting with a v6 and just be changing everything. Everything from chrome saleens, cobra bumpers, carb 408 with spray, coilovers, just alittle bit of magic from every area. You can go crazy big or stay small, its really up to you. Are you trying to keep the v6 and have it sound close to a v8 and just want to change some small things, or do you actually want to put a v8 in and go crazy?

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
^, x2 on 6er's.
Its really up to you, you could do a million things from the smallest to the craziest, ill personally be starting with a v6 and just be changing everything. Everything from chrome saleens, cobra bumpers, carb 408 with spray, coilovers, just alittle bit of magic from every area. You can go crazy big or stay small, its really up to you. Are you trying to keep the v6 and have it sound close to a v8 and just want to change some small things, or do you actually want to put a v8 in and go crazy?
lol...if you look at the picture in the post above yours you'll see how i solved my want to sound like a v6 need :yes

until i sell it that is...so i can find a 5.0

·
Registered
97 Posts
lol...if you look at the picture in the post above yours you'll see how i solved my want to sound like a v6 need :yes

until i sell it that is...so i can find a 5.0
haha, and btw your avatar is sooo distracting. Its like to much of a good thing to often than you just cant get the task at hand done properly. Story of my life :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Also what no one else is mentioning and will be the easiest mod will be a cold air intake. I love my BBK but K&N's are great too. There's a few other brands worth buying but I would see what's available on craigslist. Probably find a decent CAI for $60-80, vs. new where you are talking $180-300

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
New is 75 bucks on AM. They all do the same thing.. You could even take the airbox off and it be free

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Also what no one else is mentioning and will be the easiest mod will be a cold air intake. I love my BBK but K&N's are great too. There's a few other brands worth buying but I would see what's available on craigslist. Probably find a decent CAI for $60-80, vs. new where you are talking $180-300
Yeah except CAIs do almost nothing for our cars. They already pull cold air from the fender as they sit stock so a better filter accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

I'd wouldn't recommend wasting money on a CAI for our cars.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah except CAIs do almost nothing for our cars. They already pull cold air from the fender as they sit stock so a better filter accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

I'd wouldn't recommend wasting money on a CAI for our cars.
I noticed an instant difference on my car.. yeah the stock box pulls from the fender but it does so pulling through a snorkel..
OP don't ever let someone talk you out of a CAI. No it's not gonna completely overhaul your car, but I get alot better throttle response now which sucks on our cars to begin with.

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
"What I'm really talking about is performance."
then buy a windstar, or...
port the **** outta the stocker
a forged 4.3
twin turbo
lots of fuel toys
meth/water injection
BIG MAF
take as much wieght out as possible
Full HCI
UDP
8.8 w/ gears and improved tlok
sub frame connectors
MT slicks
EGR delete
A/C delete
Power stearing delete
sway bar delete
crazy ass tune
and a search button.

·
Registered
143 Posts
okay, first of all, for your exhaust go with an o/r h pipe with flowmaster 40s mufflers. Along with the exhaust it would be wise to upgrade to an aftermarket Cold Air Intake (CAI), this will slightly (slightly!) increase the overall performance of your engine and contribute to your exhaust sound a little. This is just my opinion. Also if you really want to feel and increase in performance, upgrade to 3.73 rear gears (along w/ that you'll need to put in an 8.8 (gt) rear end with T-lock

1 - 20 of 31 Posts