Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I just recently bought a Saleen 302 stroker with 9.5cr. Now I don't plan on running huge numbers but do plan on going with FI. Just rather build the motor first and have some fun with it along the way. I'll be buying parts over the course of next yr due to being stationed in Korea. So my question is what option should I go with stated below.....

1.) Stroker, Heads, Cams

2.) Stroker, stock heads, current nsr cams

3.) Stroker, stock heads, upgraded cams

·
Registered
623 Posts
Since your forging the bottom end, you could go all out and be safe. I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend and what you will be doing with the car. If it was my car and going FI, I would do: Stroker, Ported heads and SPR stge 2 blower cams.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
As some of you know I just recently bought a Saleen 302 stroker with 9.5cr. Now I don't plan on running huge numbers but do plan on going with FI. Just rather build the motor first and have some fun with it along the way. I'll be buying parts over the course of next yr due to being stationed in Korea. So my question is what option should I go with stated below.....

1.) Stroker, Heads, Cams BEST

2.) Stroker, stock heads, current nsr cams Not bad

3.) Stroker, stock heads, upgraded cams
pointless For the huge reason that you'd be running a bottom end at high rpm to use the cams w/ STOCK VALVE TRAIN; dont wanna ruine new bottom end ;)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to do heads/cams but don't think its worth it for my goals. Just don't know how long it'll take me to save up for the s/c. So a fully built motor should hold me over for awhile til I get the s/c

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Quite honestly, unless you are building an all out n/a car or an all out, built motor, 700+ hp, blown car, aftermarket heads are not worth the gains for what they cost.

My goals are very similar to yours that is why I offer my opinion as I have gone over this many times. Aftermarket heads are ultimately going to cost about 3-4k (thousand dollar margin comes from different heads (livernois, foxlake, etc), stage (1, 2, 3) and labor (whether or not you do it yourself). IMO, they are not worth that money unless you are maximizing your current build. Heads are necessary for cars like Rich's which see the track often trying to set records for n/a 3v's. They are also necessary for car's like Forensicsteve's, but he has steep goals for his monster.

But for the goal that we share (a badass street machine that will hit the track ever so often), aftermarket heads are not worth that much mula. I eventually plan to port and polish my stock heads, but nothing more. I want to keep some low end because I like to have fun on the streets. Save that 3k for something else

I choose option (3)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe do some Hot Rod or Thumpr cams to get the sound without doing springs

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i think that you should at least get some nice cams to put in there

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Mickey You forgot another reason to get Ported heads, becuase you want them. Thats why I got them, i just wanted them. ;)

But it is a lot of cash, no question about that. Its a tough pill to swallow i wont lie. But for some of us no hot rod mod list is complete without it.

Here is another way for the OP to look at it. Switching to spr cams is going to cost you 1300 plus labor, plus 300 dyno tune for, maybe 15hp thats without any labor at least $106 per hp, and thats being generous with the 15hp gain. It would gain you maybe 2/10s at the track, but your going to have to launch higher so you need the setup to do so. And average out a lot of those gains will be up top with no HUGE torq or low end gains if not a tiny loss down low.

Heads will cost you 2000 plus cams 650, plus limiters, 150 plus gaskets 200, plus head bolts 200. Thats 3200. Plus 300 dyno tune. 3500. for probably 40 to 50 hp. Gains everywhere from off idle up. Makes the exhuast sound deeper!! and yes i care about sound, its why i drive a mustang! Ill give it credit for 50 becuase when you consider all the low end gains and torque you will get its really more. so thats $70 hp per HP. A better deal over all if you look at all the benifits. But painfully expensive if looking just at peak gains.

To me the swap to SPR cams witout heads isnt worth it! its not that much of a gain. the swap to Ported Heads witout SPR cams, isnt really worth it from a power perspective, there are other considerations there though.

Just my 1 cent.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Maybe do some Hot Rod or Thumpr cams to get the sound without doing springs

Again to me not worth it. Either way, hot rods or thumprs you are looking at 800 bucks, with the limiters for the thumprs and the new phaser bolts. then you still need a tune.........email tune with cams..........whatever. To me you need a dyno tune. so 1100 for no power gains..............cant do it. (no power gains since he has NSR cams already) dont want anyone to think in bashing hot rod or thumpr cams.

But, to each his own, this is just a hobby for us so whatever makes you happy with your car.

But i kina went through all of this same thinking you are doing last year. In the end i decided it was all or nothing thats what did it for me.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your input Rich. Really taking everyones points into consideration. The plan is for a s/c obviously but it'll be awhile til funds are available. So this is why I'm asking about doing a fully built motor to hold me over til I get a s/c.

IMO I think a motor should be done completely if its going to be taken apart for better internals. Just doing the stroker alone probably won't net me much power at all with my current mods. But its the price that comes into play as you said.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Actually if you want to pick something to scratch off your list it would be the stroker. LOL, i know thats going to be a very unpopular thing to say.

But of our choices thats the most expensive with very little gains. I know people claim 40hp Bullshit. its maybe 20. Show me a dyno proving different. And show my a stroked n/a car so much faster them mine or other n/a head cam cars, yea, jdm ran a 11.13, but that was once? mostly i saw videos of 11.50s

40 maybe if you went to some high compression.

Now if you want if for the blower.............ok. But you could do heads and cams, and a blower and be running 10s on the stock bottom end at 500+rwhp. Plenty of guys are doing it. At some point if its not a track car, im sorry 700rwhp isnt doing you much. Like i said a very unpopular statement, but my way of looking at it.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I reccomend Option 1. Do it right the first time man. I like the way Fox Lake worked my heads. I had a stage 5 job with titanium valvetrain pieces. I went with a set of MPH custom cams, as off the shelve cams weren't close enough to what I had in mind. Also, I went with a Sullivan intake.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
WTF you got against strokers?

Actually your comment makes sense Rich...for once.

Did I need to stroke mine? no, but the price was right, and Livernois claims 30 hp but who really knows.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Your stroker kit lowers the compression a little, so you don't want to go with too much cam. I think I would stick with your NSRs till you get the blower. Lower compression and a bigger cam might make your car a little doggy.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
actually i wasnt thinking. He already has the stroker kit, so nevermind.

Nothing against stroker kits. You want to spray a 200 shot. You needed it.

But if i was trying to go cheap, i think i would get heads and cams before a stroker. Instead of his option of stroker, stock heads and cams or whatever.

WTF you got against strokers?

Actually your comment makes sense Rich...for once.

Did I need to stroke mine? no, but the price was right, and Livernois claims 30 hp but who really knows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts