Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and I've got a 2000 mustang gt... Would like to know some good options. The oil pump let go and spun a rod bearing just wanted some input on if I shld try to rebuild it or what I am on a budget of about 2000 or so

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
See if you can search the clasifieds for a used shortblock there are lots of folks always upgrading if your on a 2000$ budget, and just replace the block. I sold my block a while back for like 500$ and it had 50,000 miles on the clock.

Welcome to MM.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Welcome to Modded Mustang.

Unless you know how to rebuild it yourself you are pretty much limited to getting a salvage yard motor installed. That's not bad. I've run three of them in the past and they all lasted longer than the cars. I think the best option is a 02-05 Explorer motor. They are 2v and rwd. A direct drop in. They also have the advantage of having an aluminum block which is about 100 lbs lighter than your stock motor. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've been looking on like Craigslist around my area but haven't found any . I guess once it gets torn down I can see what the damage really looks like

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
+1 On the Explorer junkyard motor. They're on ebay and most local salvage yards either have them or can get one. Cheap and light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my buddy is really good with cars n works at jasper engines and I was just going to buy parts and he was gonna build for no charge

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I thought of something else. You have a Windsor motor with an 8-bolt crank. Depending on what you find you might have to buy a new flywheel and clutch.

Edit: I don't know what Jasper Whines is but if he is willing to pull the motor and rebuild it for free then the a world of options just opened up for you such as forged internals either increasing the compression ratio for an NA build or setting the motor up for a supercharger. Free labor makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is a Windsor and 8 bolt but I supposed if the block is good then I will be set there but I might as well go forged internals when building it back up if I plan later on boosting later

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Your like me We have windsor blocks and heads, to simplify things you really need to find a windsor block or you will have to make some minor changes when reiinstalling the motor to the timing cover, and other parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And yes it does open a lot of options with free labor but will 2000 bucks be enough for forged internals and a lot of the other parts I would need

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I don't think so by the time you buy the internals then get the motor machine work done you will be close to your budget. AFTERthe block you will need an entire gasket set including heads/valve covers/ timing cover/ oil pan etc then you will need all new fluids it is going to cost more then 2000 unless you find a good used block.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking to but if it's a little over 2 grand I'd be happy with that.... Anyone have any recommendations for a company who sells good rotating assemblies?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Did the motor freeze up? Was a rod or main knocking? Did you punch a hole in the side of the block? You might still be able to use your block and crank.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Good point eagle we get so carried away without throwing everything out we seem to overlook things. Not everyone is out for performance some folks just want to get their car going again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah if I'm going to do it I'm gonna do it right... I'm kinda glad it let go because now I can do the build the way I want with forged internals for progress I will be doing down the road

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
A stock block bored .020" over to clean it up, a stock crank turned and polished up to use oversized bearings, forged rods and pistions... that a possible 600 rwhp motor.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Then you need to save your block and crank, and get forged rods and pistons. You cannot reach 500 rwhp without a power adder. That would come later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah power adder comes later prolly sometime this summer after I get this engine build done and save alot of dough

1 - 20 of 21 Posts