Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Mustang GT with about 70,000 miles and am looking into getting forced induction recently I have discovered that a company called on3performance makes a turbo kit for under $2,000 but for that price I dont know if the quality is great, I was also looking at kenne bell twin screw and Vortech systems, I was wondering if anybody has tried any of these systems and what their thoughts are, Im looking to get around 350-400 rwhp, Im looking to spend around 4,000 but 2,000 would be way easier to work off and I dont want to push the stock internals too much, any input would be great, Thanks

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
a used inter-cooled vortech is the way for you to go then

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
search function or google is your friend.. plenty of threads with good info on this. Its all your personal preference.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
The on 3 kit is great but it's a lot more work than a supercharger is. You have to make your own brakets, get a tubular front k member and a arms as well as coilovers and cc plates. Then add in a blow through maf, 42 lb injectors an a upgraded fuel pump.

1800 for the kit
650 for the k member, arms, coilovers, andcc plates
400 for maf and injectors
And 100 for a walbro 255.

That still puts you at just under 3k and you can easily mak over 400 to the wheels as well as make great torque.

Just my experience with the kit. Oh and prices are assuming you buy it all new.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Turbo is the most efficient but it's also the most complex and prone to problems.
Roots is great for street immediate HP but they're pricey.

Centrifigual is super easy to install and maintain. It will also flow well up top for the track ... but it doesn't have much punch in lower RPMs. But for a first F/I prolly the best route. Also very affordable.

·
Registered
349 Posts
+1 on searching threads..

Given your budget, I'd agree with the Vortech/Centri supercharger route.
There is a lot more to the turbo kit (including tune @ a Dyno) and the install is more intensive. Don't know your mechanical background and how much you want to DIY vs. pay for install, tune, etc..

The Supercharger kits are easy to install and in most cases you can get a plug-in tune with them.

I've got the KB myself and love it. It is expensive, but in my opinion it was totally worth it. Best bet is not to rush into anything- do your homework and make a plan.
There's used kit's around from time-to-time if you are patient.

If I were to go turbo (almost did), I'd go with the Hellion kit. There is a lot to be said for complete kits that don't require a lot of shopping/fabrication time/guess work on your part.

BTW, most Super charger kits can be installed in a weekend.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Turbo is the most efficient but it's also the most complex and prone to problems.

Centrifigual is super easy to install and maintain. It will also flow well up top for the track ... but it doesn't have much punch in lower RPMs. But for a first F/I prolly the best route. Also very affordable.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Your going to love any type of forced induction you go with. Just build in your budget and mechanic skillls

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
go ahead and get the turbo kit... once you outgrow the 70mm, it is easier to swap the turbo than it is a head unit. I have built a nitrous setup and a centrifugal charged setup. and my next setup "if its in a street car" will be turbo NO DOUBT. I was getting ready to swap my last car to turbo before i sold it. and btw, the on3 kits are getting better and better. I dont see a problem in buying their kits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Allright thanks everybody I would plan on installing it myself so id probably go with kenne bell or vortech but I do love the whine of the kenne bell and the whistle of the vortech so ill just have to wait and decide

·
Registered
601 Posts
Kenne Bells sound sooo much cooler. My Procharger isn't very loud unless I run the bypass open and then it whistles a little ... but still nothing like a roots!

But you can get a complete used Vortech/Procharger for like $2K! And have installed a few hours later! :)

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Kenne Bells sound sooo much cooler. My Procharger isn't very loud unless I run the bypass open and then it whistles a little ... but still nothing like a roots!

But you can get a complete used Vortech/Procharger for like $2K! And have installed a few hours later! :)
My V1 is very loud.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts

Agreed, but I cant see a PD blower being hard to install. Looks pretty easy to be honest.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
go ahead and get the turbo kit... once you outgrow the 70mm, it is easier to swap the turbo than it is a head unit. I have built a nitrous setup and a centrifugal charged setup. and my next setup "if its in a street car" will be turbo NO DOUBT. I was getting ready to swap my last car to turbo before i sold it. and btw, the on3 kits are getting better and better. I dont see a problem in buying their kits.
Agreed, the On3 kits are getting a lot better. The newer kits have had no issues. Ive heard of less and less issues with them, acually none in a while. Some of the fox bodys have some fitment issues. But thats about it

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Another vote for the On3 kit. As Shaun said they have gotten so much better and are plenty more power than what you are looking for. The only thing the On3 guys are still skeptical on is what K members the kit works with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
turbo is the only way to go in my opinion. belt driven compressors take a substantial amount of HP to spin. i'd rather have all the HP going to the tires!
checkout Hellion turbo kits. up to 1600+ HP with a twin turbo kit... if you have the money!! :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Piece together your own turbo kit, get a reputable companies hotside such as MMR or CG Fabrications, add a Master Power Turbo, JGS Wastegate and Blow off Valve and an eBay Intercooler kit.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Agreed, but I cant see a PD blower being hard to install. Looks pretty easy to be honest.
its not. think about the parts included for each. you just have to remove teh intake manifold. That may be where some get scared? :confused:
turbo is the only way to go in my opinion. belt driven compressors take a substantial amount of HP to spin. i'd rather have all the HP going to the tires!
checkout Hellion turbo kits. up to 1600+ HP with a twin turbo kit... if you have the money!! :(
turbos are a restriction as well... and can be just as bad if not worse then a belt driven compressor if not set up correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts