Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 mustang gt. I am looking on getting new wheels. What is the widest size wheels i can fit on the back.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i got a 94 and i got nitto 315 and i dont think you can go any bigger..without rear end work

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 315's on my car and I didn't have to roll the lip or remove the quad shocks. My car is lowered 2" all the way around and it does rub sometimes on really hard corners. Like at about 40 mph on a right hand turn.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
yeah a 10.5 rim and a 315 tire is as wide as you can go without modification of the rear suspension.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends really. Before I changed my suspension I swapped in a 10.5 inch rear cobra R wheel with some street sumitomo(sp?) 315/35/17 tires. They did not rub during normal driving, but they would in hard left corners. During track days I would swap it out for a some drag radials (same listed size) and they would never rub. I double checked the wide of the nitto dr and the tread was actually not as wide with the regular street tires. So when I say it depends...it also depends on the brand of tire you are using.

Since my car is mostly a street car and I had to use the regular street tires here is what I found to make the 10.5" wheel w/315/35/17 tires work:

First attempt:

*Reversed the quad shock to gain a slight clearance. This worked, but in extreme corners the tire (edge) would still rub. Which btw is not a good feeling when taking hard corners at a track and it upsets your entire suspension..which affects your braking...which majorly sucks when the car on your tail out brakes you through a corners because you cannot find your line with a wallowing car.:mad:

*Tried spacers..don't do it...it does not look good...too much sticks past the fenderwell:eek:

*Tried different brand tires...the nitto drag radials still rubbed the least..then again..with the tire rating these tires have I wouldn't want anything rubbing on the sides of the tires (BOOM:no)

Anyway..after much trial and error the biggest reason the tires rub with this combo is that your axle is moving all over the place with the stock type suspension. You really need to fix this movement and I found the best way to do this is to place a panhard rod bar and torque arm in. After these mod my wheels/tires would never rub. The axle now does not have the side to side movement and the tires stay where they are suppose to (handling is much of improved as well).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts