Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well every little project turns into a big one on my fox. i was just replacing the 02 sensors. while removing them both bungs stripped. i took off the h pipe to get new ones welded on and its cracked in 2 places. i dont know what brand it is but it has bbk cats that were welded onto it near the h. now my question is what would cause a 2 inch crack near the h. im going to get a new one but i dont want the new one to crack. was it just maybe too old already?

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I don't know what would cause it to crack like that, maybe it was torqued when installed. Why not have the crack welded and keep it?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i might do that, i just have to check how much they charge me, and see if its worth it rather than getting a new one. they quoted me $30 to weld the new bungs in.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Only thing I can think of is extreme temperture changes...Example- You're coming home one night, the car is warm, and so is the exhaust...Somehow you drive over a bank of snow. Something like that lol. Or the h-pipe already had an existing crack.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
i have seen some crack before. Its nothing hard to get fixed but u said u had cats welded in so you may have messed with the strength of the pipe. my $.02

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Not any of the ones I've ever had.

I can understand why it's there. It makes the job a quick replacement of a stock part. I just think it's funny that they would go to that extent. If you're modding your car, I don't think removing or crimping the air pump line would be a big deal, if it's even on the car at that point.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im just going to weld a bolt in it. when i was test fitting it i noticed theres a bolt missing on the transmission mount, so i have to get that before i put the pipe in.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Not any of the ones I've ever had.

I can understand why it's there. It makes the job a quick replacement of a stock part. I just think it's funny that they would go to that extent. If you're modding your car, I don't think removing or crimping the air pump line would be a big deal, if it's even on the car at that point.
My old off road h-pipe had it to.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Finally came in. Now I gota figure out how to plug the smog pump hole since I took the pump off.
Just get a piece of hose two hose clamps and a pipe plug. Or crimp it closed then weld it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts