Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would I need to be able to take the whole front strut assembly out and not have to reuse any parts for my new struts and springs?

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Struts, springs, Isolators, couple bolts and a couple nuts...
what are isolators? Would you recommend going this route? would it be easier than renting a spring compressor and dealing with it that way?

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You dont need a spring compressor anyway man, just use a jack. Emay posted a "how to" video a while back that he had found.
Oh nice Ill look for it. thanks Mike!! Finally someone helps me out. *Reps*

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
James, I cannot find the video I had posted. I know several asked for it to be a sticky and it never occurred. Mike's write up link immediately above is exactly the same as the video. Follow that write up and you'll be golden.. here's another good write up over on stangnet dedicated to S197's, but with the use of a compressor tool. Just omit that section with the above data from mike's and you'll be fine. I'll pm it to you.. If I find that dang video I'll repost.. I didn't keep a copy for myself and I should have..

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
The Isolators are the pads that the springs sit on b/w the spring and the plates on the struts. That way there is no metal to metal contact, which would result in a poping noise when going over bumps and whatnot...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just watched the video and while it looks pretty easy to do, I wouldn't do it that way. If that spring lets loose while you lower the jack it could kill you, really. I took my struts out and drove them to the garage I normally use and he popped them off and put the new ones on for free.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will chain them up. I wasny planning on not having something holding them back....I couldnt believe they didnt in that video.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I just watched the video and while it looks pretty easy to do, I wouldn't do it that way. If that spring lets loose while you lower the jack it could kill you, really. I took my struts out and drove them to the garage I normally use and he popped them off and put the new ones on for free.
It cannot escape from it's position until pressure is completely off, don't over analyze the situation. It's nothing like most people are making it out to be..

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Like Emay said its not really that unsafe... I have done it several times this way @ the dealer. When you getting paid flat rate you do what you can to save sometime, and this definitally save some time rather than going back and forth on borth sides of a spring trying to get it to compress evenly...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts