Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so i bought a 03 gt 5 Speed in may that has all the bolts on done to it, stage one VT cams, and 3.73 gears. The car came with a detroit locker and i really hate it for street driving so i bought FFRP standard carbon fiber clutch packs that i am going to have someone replace it with. I am so undecided if i should upgrade to 4.10 while im in there. The car is going to stay NA. I have probably read at least 700 threads of debates on this subject and there is no clear answer. I am primarily concerned with traction and 410. I have the stock 17 inch rims and am planning on 275-40-17 tires if i do the 4.10. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I enjoy my 3.73s my abs is broken so no traction control so if I floor it i just spin even with 315/35/17s. Only this I have done to rear is tokico blues. I haven't had any experience with 4.10s but the debate is endless I'm satisfied with my 3.73s though.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Go 4.10's and do not look back, especially if you are staying NA. Traction isn't an issue if you work on suspension mods next. FLSFC, LCA's and a good set of tires.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
:bash::bash:Damn not another one of these gear threads.......:facepalm:

·
Registered
53 Posts
without tires there's no 1st gear traction with 3.73s either, just do 4.10s while your in there, cruising rpm goes up only about 100 rpm, you'll seriously notice 3rd and 4th gear pulling harder.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Abs is broken as well( just took the bulb out lol), i have the same thing happen with my 3.73's. Im planning on doing MM HD LCA's around christmas time. And maybe nitto 555r or nt05 275-40-17's in the spring. Its the same cost for a gear install as it is to just have the detroit locker swapped out which is why i dont want to kick my self if i dont upgrade but dont want to regret if i do.

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
4.10s. I was in this same situation as you not too long ago and I'm so glad I went with 4.10s over 3.73s. Trust me you wont regret it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay great, late model restoration offers a great kit for $260 that includes the gears, bearing kit, and gear oil. Install will probably be about $300-350, im excited though, i usually don't launch too hard, most of my pulls are actually 2nd,3rd,gear kind of things because i have crap tires now that make 1st useless haha but i plan to upgrade

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
If you have stock wheels, you need to get wider wheels to put a wider tire on them. I'd get the 4.10s and then get a 315/35/17 tire.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
the end to this debate 3.73's vs 4.10's should be 3.90's :p

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i really cant afford new wheels, i know plenty of guys that run nitto 275-40-17 on stock rims because they run narrow

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I enjoy my 3.73s my abs is broken so no traction control so if I floor it i just spin even with 315/35/17s. Only this I have done to rear is tokico blues. I haven't had any experience with 4.10s but the debate is endless I'm satisfied with my 3.73s though.
You shouldn't have the traction control on anyway.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
If you have stock wheels, you need to get wider wheels to put a wider tire on them. I'd get the 4.10s and then get a 315/35/17 tire.
Makes no sense. Your increasing the gearing, but putting a wider/heavier wheel/tire on the rear to gain back traction, which will only increase rotating mass. Nitto's run narrow so he will not have a problem running a 275/40/17 drag radial on a 17x8.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
4.30's> all
+1. If you are truly certain that the car will remain N/A you should do 4.30's. With your full bolt ons and cams at full weight the car should run 106-108mph at the track and that should put you right at 6-6.2k rpm when crossing the traps.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Makes no sense. Your increasing the gearing, but putting a wider/heavier wheel/tire on the rear to gain back traction, which will only increase rotating mass. Nitto's run narrow so he will not have a problem running a 275/40/17 drag radial on a 17x8.
I agree a 275/40 will be the better option but adding a more heavy wheel is not too much of a difference. You already need a wider wheel for a 275 anyways so you can just add another half an inch in width and make it suitable for a 315 tire. 315's look better anyways.

If it were me, I can justify the added rotational mass for a better looking car with the 315s. Not everybody is in it for an ultimate performance aspect.

:)

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
If nittos run narrow has anyone ran 335 on 10.5 rims?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I agree a 275/40 will be the better option but adding a more heavy wheel is not too much of a difference. You already need a wider wheel for a 275 anyways so you can just add another half an inch in width and make it suitable for a 315 tire. 315's look better anyways.

If it were me, I can justify the added rotational mass for a better looking car with the 315s. Not everybody is in it for an ultimate performance aspect.

:)
I can tell you that going from a 17x8 with a 255/40/17 BFG KDW II street tire to a 17x10.5 with a 315/35/17 BFG drag radial made my car feel like an absolute dog whe it was N/A. On street tires with 4.10's cutting a 2.05 60ft the car ran a 13.80. With the 315's and a 1.86 60ft the car couldn't get out of the 13.90's. Going to a 15x8 Weld Prostar with a 275/50/15 BFG drag radial the car ran a 13.44 with a 1.77 60'. In my experience the feeling of having such a big wheel on the back of a car that isn't making much power is horrible. It does look mean from the back, but I'd rather have a car that feels faster and actually is faster with a smaller wheel than having the look of big meats out back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts