Modded Mustang Forums banner

Which combo for my race/street car?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've come to a point where I'm just tired of waiting to accumulate enough money at once to purchase my crate coyote engine for my race car. I've been thinking about it a bunch and just cannot make up my mind which way to go. I have four options of what I could do. I'm curious for other's input to possibly help me make a decision. I want to start working on it asap, and just can't firm a plan.
Here are my options:
1. GT40 engine from either a cobra, or from an explorer. That means either a cobra or explorer intake, GT40 heads, etc. I have my custom exhaust from my old race car combo, a few other odds and ends pushrods parts to help with the transformation, but don't have an engine. I'd have to purchase one.
2. 4.6 3V out of a stang. I could put this in, have a custom set of headers made, I have a bellhousing currently for a modular(same as a coyote). I have the engine in my posession, it would need some solid cam gears as I would not use the vct function.
3. 4.6 2V, also have one of these, PI heads and intake, would need headers made for this too, same bellhousing applies.
4. 4.6 4V, have several of these, all B headed, but no intake. I would need to find a B headed cobra intake and throttle body, as well as the custom headers.

All of the above would use the spec clutch and proshifted TKO's I have for the coyote swap. I can have mounts fabbed to make any of these work on my V8 Kmember in my coupe. All would have their cool points, and all would run pretty well. My thought was that whatever combo I came up with in this car, could easily be transplanted into another car once I got the cash together to get the coyote. Your input/questions are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
3v from an s197....

A little head work, cams and intake work would put it into the 10s on motor. I saw a 2005 gt with that combo @ 37xx pounds go 11.50!

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3v from an s197....

A little head work, cams and intake work would put it into the 10s on motor. I saw a 2005 gt with that combo @ 37xx pounds go 11.50!

Sent from my galaxy s II
Ya didn't vote, lol.

·
Mustang Fanatic
724 Posts
Stangbanger you're very optimistic about times I noticed lol...
It'll run what it runs... Hopefully 10s but wouldn't be surprised if it only got close
I vote 3v as well tho

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I know dick about modulars, so I'm no help, but I do know the 4.6 3V's are pretty cool motors. Not sure what a 'b' headed 4v is and I'm too lazy to google it before I respond. But if you have several, that means several you can 'pill till you kill'. So that's my vote! Hahaha. Good luck with any choice.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cost wise makes me lean toward the cobra/explore swap... its would be cheaper to throw together and get running, there for more money in the bank for that coyote swap down the road.

On the other hand it would be pretty fun to have a 7 grand revving 4 valve fox coupe...:naughty:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I say it depends what your goals are. If lots of horsepower isn't what you want then I say go with the 5.0. There's just something I like about them.

If you want lots of horsepower I would go with a 4v teksid 4.6. Capable of lots of horsepower but it can get a bit pricey.

I will vote when I get to a computer

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Stangbanger you're very optimistic about times I noticed lol...
It'll run what it runs... Hopefully 10s but wouldn't be surprised if it only got close
I vote 3v as well tho
Only cause I know he knows what he's doing. Where I am, people dk it right. Idk what others are doing to get their times with their combos :lol

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i vote coyote! oh damn that isnt a choice

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I dont know any thing about these motors. Sorry i cant help. Im curious, is more valves better then less. If so then the 4v:dunno

1 - 20 of 29 Posts