Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will my first attempt at correcting scratches so I would like to do it right the first time. The car has been washed 3 times since it was repainted 2 years ago, twice by the former owner and once by my employee who thought he was doing me a favour... Need to know which products you would use to correct the paint. I will be using a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Its not bad but this is what Im trying to "fix". Any help would be great!

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Megs m105
Megs m205
Finish polish if you wanna do a third step
Sealant
Wax

I'd suggest buff and shine orange pads for m105 and either green buff and shine pad or tangerine hydrotech pad for the m205

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Megs m105
Megs m205
Sealant
Wax

I'd suggest buff and shine orange pads for m105 and either green buff and shine pad or tangerine hydrotech pad for the m205
On black i would say a final polish is a must. Follow 105 and 205 with Menzerna PO85RD(SF4500) and youll love the results.

Your paint looks like it has lot of scratches but they arent very deep which should be relatively easy to correct. I also suggest Buff and Shine pads, they are really durable, work great, and arent expensive.

Selecting your products is most of the battle man haha.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Megs m105
Megs m205
Sealant
Wax

this except 3x+ cyan hydrotech pads
3x+ tangerine pads
just a quality wax like petes 53

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Pete's is awesome on darker colors. Epecially layered with a sealant.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
this except 3x+ cyan hydrotech pads
3x+ tangerine pads
just a quality wax like petes 53
Cyans do an amazing job BUT they don't last very long compared to the Tangerine pad or BnS pads I have used.

I like the tangerine pads as well. Also liked the green pads from BnS. BnS are cheaper as well I think.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
BnS last longer and are cheaper.....AND have open cell foam which technically is what most polishes are designed for....just sayin lol.

I do want a Hydratech finishing pad tho, i think the closed cell foam will help make LSPs go further per ounce in application...

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
you've never used them :D
tangerines are the ****
Tangerine/Crimson are awesome and I haven't had any issues with the life of the Tangerine pads. The cyan pads over and over and over I've been let down by the lift of the pad. I read some reviews on people with the same experience BUT I will never say they don't finish amazing because m105 looks insanely good on a cyan pad.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
the trade off on cyans is awesome quick cut awesome finish and a shorter life span unfortunately
but they honestly make it possible to 1step 105 which is incredible
That is so true. My mind was blown to be honest. . .

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Black always needs a micropolish IMHO

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
you've never used them :D
tangerines are the ****
Im sure they are good. I simple stated 2 FACTS that have nothing to do with experience or having used them....
1- BnS are cheaper....fact
2-They last longer, at least better than the cyan pads.

the trade off on cyans is awesome quick cut awesome finish and a shorter life span unfortunately
but they honestly make it possible to 1step 105 which is incredible
Im sure youre right about 105 finishing well on cyan but on black thats really not gonna matter that much. Youre gonna have to come back with 205 and you really need to final polish black.

Black always needs a micropolish IMHO
Agreed, 205 finishes well, but when you see a side by side of 205 next to a final polish like 85rd, the depth and clarity accomplished by final polishing is a must!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
6 hours and almost a whole bottle of m105 gave me this! Very happy with the outcome so far! Different cam angle but same location. Thanks for the help guys, will post more pics after each step. Tomorrow I start m205.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went over the car 3 times to make sure I got all the scratches out. There are only 2 I could not remove completely but you really have to look for them. Plus there was some waste as the furnace vent is directly above the car and the m105 would dry out because the furnace ran so much in the garage, it was -4°F this afternoon.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
A WHOLE bottle. You should have used 2 maybe 3oz to do a whole car.
this^

I went over the car 3 times to make sure I got all the scratches out. There are only 2 I could not remove completely but you really have to look for them. Plus there was some waste as the furnace vent is directly above the car and the m105 would dry out because the furnace ran so much in the garage, it was -4°F this afternoon.
I know the new paints are hard but what kind of pads are you using? A hole bottle should go over your car about 10 times. Using too much compound could hinder the cut because the pad is gonna get caked with product really fast and not cut as well.

Post some pics of how much polish you use and what pads you use, and the way you are using them, 105 should cut pretty deep really fast, you shouldnt have to go over your car 3 times, i would step up your pad if you can.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts