Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car a little more than a year ago the previous owner already had vinyl stripes installed on it. They are faded and cracking as you can see from the pictures down below. It looks horrible. He also had the stripes just painted on the rear fascia, horrible quality. I purchased a new one already to replace it for cheap. I took it to couple places to try and get help with the stripes. For the dent in the trunk, which I did, the best quote I have so far is $1,100. That is to fix it and blend the paint, as well as paint the spoiler which he also had painted. I can't get any place to take these off. One guy said it would take him days. So the trunk dent is a must fix. So then I'm left with the front fascia, hood, top of the car and possibly the trunk with stripes. Could I take them off myself? I'm afraid of messing up my paint.

So I'd be looking at $1,100 to fix the dent, which is a must. Then if I remove the stripes I would have to pay for paint correction or for new stripes. I think I would like it better with no stripes. Just sucks cus for all that money I could go FI lol.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
This was my car the day I bought it so I feel your pain, I picked up a few eraser wheels and buzzed the stripes off over a weekend. Then buffed the car and you cant tell. As for the paint and body work that does seem a bit high

·
Registered
476 Posts
Use a wheel and adhesive remover to remove the vinyl stripes. Have the dent fixed and stripes removed. Take it from there.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-7498-STRIPE-WHEEL-W-ARBOR/dp/B00063VT0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356712860&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+decal+remover[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-03618-Adhesive-Remover-oz/dp/B000BQYA7W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356712860&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+decal+remover[/ame]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was my car the day I bought it so I feel your pain, I picked up a few eraser wheels and buzzed the stripes off over a weekend. Then buffed the car and you cant tell. As for the paint and body work that does seem a bit high
I purchased one eraser wheel off Amazon when I was overseas. I'm gonna order afew more I think. Is it hard and got any tips? I don't mind doing it, just afraid of chipping the paint. One guy I went to said to be real careful with the front and rear fascia since they are plastic. I'm on leave till the 11th so I may just buy a drill and afew batteries. I definitely think it would look better without stripes. Did you buff it out yourself also? Never done anything like that before either.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid $600 to have my old vinyl stripes removed and matte black ones painted on. $1100 seems high I would get some a few more estimates.
I've only gotten estimates at two places so far and that was the cheapest of the two. The other 1,600

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
I purchased one eraser wheel off Amazon when I was overseas. I'm gonna order afew more I think. Is it hard and got any tips? I don't mind doing it, just afraid of chipping the paint. One guy I went to said to be real careful with the front and rear fascia since they are plastic. I'm on leave till the 11th so I may just buy a drill and afew batteries. I definitely think it would look better without stripes. Did you buff it out yourself also? Never done anything like that before either.
Just take your time and keep the wheel moving, I caused a few chips on the rear bumper because I had the rpm on the drill too high, but other than that its easy. Yes I did the buffing myself too, at that time I did it by hand with a applicator pad and megs ultimate compound

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also another option, why not buy a new trunk lid and have it painted to match, that might save you a couple hundred dollars
I might do that. I'll run by Ford next wrrk and see how much that will run me. Also do you happen to remember about how long it took you to remove your stripes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts