Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im putting in a new clutch in my 01 gt.. just wondering if anyone has some good ones...i was a good reliable..little bit grabbier than stock. i plan to keep adding mods. but just bolt ons now. no power adders. i was leaning towards a SPEC stage 2 clutch kit. i think it comes with a pilot and throwout bearing

·
Full Frontal Nudity
1,725 Posts
Don't use the spec bearings, buy Ford pilot and throwout bearings. Other than that the Spec clutch is pretty good, the initial break in period was kind of a pain (some chatter in 1st) but that went away after about 500 miles.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
if your car has a 11 inch flywheel i would use a oem 03-04 cobra clutch. perfect clutch cause it handles about the max of what the input shaft can handle.

·
Full Frontal Nudity
1,725 Posts
^^^^That is what I was going to go with, but I got a good deal on my Spec.

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
I have the Spec clutch. It's alright; but it rattles when I'm at idle without the clutch pedal down. I've searched and I guess this is common; it's annoying however and I want to put in something new this winter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if your car has a 11 inch flywheel i would use a oem 03-04 cobra clutch. perfect clutch cause it handles about the max of what the input shaft can handle.
^^^ What he said... I love mine and got a great deal on it :D

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I would deff go with a mcleod if they make them for mod motors. My buddy had a spec stage 1 with about 10k hard miles on it. pulled the motor and the clutch was toasted, worn way down and burn spots all over it. I had a mcleod on my 347 with twice as many miles and they were just as hard. still looked damn good no burn marks and i would not hesitate to keep running it more.

From those results i would deff go mcleod.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would deff go with a mcleod if they make them for mod motors. My buddy had a spec stage 1 with about 10k hard miles on it. pulled the motor and the clutch was toasted, worn way down and burn spots all over it. I had a mcleod on my 347 with twice as many miles and they were just as hard. still looked damn good no burn marks and i would not hesitate to keep running it more.

From those results i would deff go mcleod.
McLeod makes a single disk and twin disk clutches for the 4.6l. I have the RXT twin disk and it is awesome. I would assume that their single disk would be awesome also.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I had great luck with RAM after dealing with a faulty Spec clutch that ate 3 TOBs. Had 60k miles on the RAM with tons of abuse on it and it was still holding strong.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Problems with my spec stage 2 here as well. D&D recommended me the king cobra clutch. Putting it in with my new tranny later this month so no word on how that is yet. The spec stage 2 was too much for my bolt on car and ate multiple TOBs before my input shaft **** the bed. I don't recommended it.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
My 2 cents worth

I did a lot of research before changing this last clutch and decided to give the CCI (Competition Clutch Inc.) clutch a try. I love it. It is a perfect street clutch. It engages smoothly with stock feeling pedal pressure while grabbing just fine with the nitrous. The bearings included with the kit were very high quality. Pricing was also very reasonable.

One of these clutch kits with a XXX Performance clutch fork kit (keeps the release bearing from riding the pressure plate all of the time) and you'll have a great, noise free set up. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
This is what I will be going with when my clutch lets go. Get a Ford tob and pilot bearing.

edit: Think Ford discontinued the 03/04 cobra clutch this month.

·
Full Frontal Nudity
1,725 Posts
I think mid 01 and up is 11in and anything before that is 10.5in...as far as New Edge stangs go, I don't know about the "others"

I think the Cobra clutch is going to be what I get next.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
99-mid 01 were 10.5 clutches. easy way to tell is the windsor motor. 13 valve cover bolts and the water pump hat looks diff cause the shaft was longer. also the water neck installed diff for the radiater

1 - 20 of 33 Posts