Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is are the things to have a complete stroker motor and what the gains and whats the all motor power?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Basically, its giving the engine a longer stroke and a bigger bore to gain more cubes. There are many kits out there. DSS along with many other companies offer them. Worth it? NIMHO, but thats just me. Others might disagree.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
bigger bore by changing stroke? the stroker set up in these cars is changing the crank to a 3.75, rod length is shorter, and wrist pin placement on the piston is moved. is it worth it, yes and no; depends on what you want. you will gain torque and a little bit of hp. if throwing a power adder on top of it, the you have more volume to fill which will be a plus. there are some negatives to it as well, things like piston dwell time, thrust side wear, how far piston petrudes out of cylinder, etc. all up to you if you want a stroker or not.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
^^ so whats the negative

·
Registered
979 Posts
adding the longer stroke to the motor makes the engine cram even more fuel and air into the same size combustion chamber, there fore making more power durring the combustion process.

To bore the cylinders, just means to make them bigger. You making more room to hold fuel and air during the combustion process.

If you were to combine the the two, then that would be a bored and stroked motor. Don't think I need to explane that one.

You would get more torque out of the stroke, than the bore because it is a more violent combustion process.

Imaging putting some N2O, or FI to it ontop of that, and you make the process repeat at a much higher rate of fire...

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
^^ so whats the negative
there are some negatives to it as well, things like piston dwell time, thrust side wear, how far piston petrudes out of cylinder, etc.
It may be obvious, but I'd also add cost and time as negatives here - you have to pull your motor and rebuild it, versus something like a supercharger which can be bolted on in a day (and the supercharger will likely make more power and torque).

·
Registered
979 Posts
It may be obvious, but I'd also add cost and time as negatives here - you have to pull your motor and rebuild it, versus something like a supercharger which can be bolted on in a day (and the supercharger will likely make more power and torque).
I agree 100%. I would not recomend boreing or stroking you motor just to make a little extra power unless you feel into these two conditions:

1. you need to rebuild you engine any way
2. You are wanting to make an all out performance car, (No longer a DD) then you would want to have as strong a base platform to start with before adding you power adder.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
bigger bore by changing stroke?
If thats a question, I am not sure thats possible. Thats why I said longer stroke "and" bigger bore to gain more cubes. Technically that would be boring and stroking which is what most stroker kits do. It will add some torque, but not too much gain in power if any (in a 4.6 anyways). Now, bore "and" stroke a 351 to a 393 or 408, or a 302 to a 347, and slap that in there. That will wake it up nicely.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i ws just wondering what you are trying to imply. stroking has nothing to do with bore. you can bore on top as well, but not going to bore itself. thats what i was getting at.

·
Registered
374 Posts
the thing is when you stroke or bore they just dont seem too hold together as well even a good built 4.6 like a short block kit from mph, livernois, etc they just seem to hold together alot better than the strokers plus the power gains just dont seem like there hardly worth it enless your one of the many 4.6 guys trying to go n/a all the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts