Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you've figured out I'm about to order Flaming River's manual rack and pinion. I'm not sure what to do with the serpentine assembly though. I'd like to retain my a/c, and getting a shorter belt to remap the belt travel just sounds a little too dodgy for me. I would like to place an idler where the p/s pump used to be. I don't think I can just use the existing pulley as an idler can I? So what's a suitable idler pulley? (size, etc)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i came down to that conclusion myself after barely any replies and nothing showed up in searches other than Miata and Ls1 stuff. I guess what i could do is drive to the parts store with an unhosed pump and try belts out there

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seriously, you have nothing to fear. People that buy a smog pump pulley are as stupid as someone that would buy a power steering pulley if they made one. You seriously cannot do any damage by rerouting your belt with a smaller belt. Stop being a timid person and just do it. You will thank me in the end. A belt is cheaper than a pulley anyways.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seriously, you have nothing to fear. People that buy a smog pump pulley are as stupid as someone that would buy a power steering pulley if they made one. You seriously cannot do any damage by rerouting your belt with a smaller belt. Stop being a timid person and just do it. You will thank me in the end. A belt is cheaper than a pulley anyways.
You're right, after finding some examples of belt re-routes, the concept didn't seem as outlandish anymore. I'll post pics when the order finally arrives ( Overseas shipping )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts