Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best size tire to run on a 20x10 in the rear? the 255/35/20 are the cheapest bet, but is that too narrow? 1 shop told me it would be fine, 1 shop said too narrow and would look "off" does anyone run this? and also if this size is no good, whats the best to run?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
*I* would run a 255 on a 10" rim, but I wouldn't suggest it for most people.

By going to such a narrow tire, you're taking up all the available sidewall flex. This means that you won't have that flex showing up as slop in corner transitions, but it also means that you don't have that nice soft sidewall that's so important for launching.

If you're a corner-carver, I'd probably still suggest going up to a 275 for a 10" rim. If you're a drag racer, you need to go a lot wider, at least a 305 if not a 315.

EDIT: Of course, if you're getting 20s, you're pretty obviously not a corner-carver. Get the 315s.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
305's on a 10" rim is the limit (pics).

285 or 295 I would say is ideal.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the foose wheels i bought have 245/35/20 on front and 275/40/20 on the back, and the 40's are too tall for my liking, i dont carve corners or anything like that, but i can get a nice set of new 255's locally for 205 out the door.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
275 and 285 are the best fit.

Can you do a 255? Yeah, but it is at the limit of being too narrow.

295 is technically the limit on a 10" rim although some guys do put on 305's it is really not recommended per the tire and rim association.

Look here...

4th chart down:

Untitled Page

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
The Toyo chart which I refer to from time to time has minimum rim width for a 305/18 as 10" with 10.5, 11" being ideal. Anyways I am speculating that with a 20" tire it might be more critical because of the shorter sidewall and would recommend and 11" rim with a 305/20. You can see in my pic there is a slight bulge, but on a 20" rim it would be much more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right now i run a 275/40/20 and it fills up the fender really nice but it just looks off, like its way too tall in the back and too small in the front, a 275/35/20 is about 1/2" taller than a 255/35/20 right?

i could hold off and get a set of 275's around tax time but 250 installed for the 255's is tempting me.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Here's the thing, the right tires give the car "the look". Skimping and settling because of cost isn't something I would do in this instance. I hold off, save, and get a 275 or larger.

From the back, the car will look a tad off having so skinny a tire. Coupled with a very stretched 3/4 view, I think everyone here would agree to pass on the 255's.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Do you like this look?

That's what you're going for by putting a tire that has a width equal to the rim width.

If you get the 255s, I *guarantee* you'll be buying wider tires later.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
[

This is much better than this...

I know you said 255s are the cheapest bet, but you will be so much happier with no only the looks but the performance if you suck it up and spend a couple hundred more.

( Nitto 555Rs FTMFW! )

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i think i am going to just hold off and get a set of 275 35's soon. these tires are brand new but they just seem too tall for me, but ill get a pic up asap

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
[

This is much better than this...

I know you said 255s are the cheapest bet, but you will be so much happier with no only the looks but the performance if you suck it up and spend a couple hundred more.

( Nitto 555Rs FTMFW! )
And don't forget the custom mesh inserts for the side scoops.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.