Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car makes a very repetitive *pop* when making a very tight right/left hand turn (like busting a U). If I go grandma slow, crawling, it doesn't happen. If I drive normal (very lightly still), it happens every time. It happens 100% of the time in one spot, as I'm turning nearly full lock to the right (not all the way) and the pavement dips, then rises (one street meeting another). Other places is a gamble,,but this one spot it always happens. Very annoying.

It's at least 4-5 good *pops*

balljoints? (I'm very familiar with balljoint problems,,but this sound is like a metal marble bouncing on metal,,,if that makes sense.). I'm used to a balljoints just making ONE *pop*,,this sounds like a loose sway bar......(read below)

something in the steering?

Car feels tight on the hwy. Tracks straight,,,no drifting,,very responsive. No pops or other bad sounds at any other time.

What's going on? '02gt 5spd (doesn't matter if I'm in gear or not)

----OH YA,,,I noticed the sway bar hanger,,the part that connects the front sway bar to car (there's two of them),,under the hood, bottom of the car,,one of the metal arms appeared to be cracked open on the driver's side. Was just barely split open,,and the other side did not have this split (it looked so clean I could see it being factory/normal). Is the sway bar 'sway'n' over to one side,,and that hanger/mount that's split is making a pop sound? (all the bushings look good) With car on a lift I grabbed the front tires, and there's was absolutley ZERO play in the tires.

help me out,,,i need to make this problem go bye bye!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
sorry man can't help yeah. i have a popping sound too but only when i back out of my drivway and turn left. i don't know what it is but my car drives, handles, and feels tight too.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool - i'm getting used to the car's sound (only had her a couple weeks now). But this sound is definitely a problem that I'm getting fixed asap. Just did the trans fluid, and all the brakes/ and front rotors the other day.

I'm not turning full lock,,,but dang close,,and making a slight uphill climb when it happens 100% of the time. Yet not play,,,no vibrations....?

(also trying to work out any issues before I make the exh any louder)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
yeah **** like that bugs the hell outa me. i have a squeek in my rear and my exhuast vibrates a little. im hoping to fix those soon.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well,,,,appears we only have lower ball joints to worry about,,,my old dakota,,uppers and lowers,,ungreaseable pieces of poop.

The wheels hav zero play in them though....?, (when up on a lift),,,I thought if the ball joints were failing you would be able to wiggle the wheel? My wheels are solid as a mofo, both sides. It's like somone taps 3-5 times on something metal from up front,,I can't tell what side exactly.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
it might be your strut mounts. or caster camber plates. my stock one broke when i replaced my springs and did it til i replaced em.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
is it lowered? if so are the isolators in? that can cause a pop as the suspension loads.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...not lowered,,looks to be totally stock susp. wise. All the bushings look intact, and healthy,,not dried, or busted.

might take it to an alignment shop - thanks for the ideas guys. Hopefully the wheel won't try to tuck under like on my dodge :(

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
my rack bushings did same thing and everything looked good. i got under there and tightened down the bushing more and the popping went away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the same problem, except mine also made a poping sound when I braked. The problem on my car was my front wheel bearings, they were shot. Picked up 2 new hub assemblys from autozone for like 40bucks a piece, easy to swap if you got a big enough breaker bar. Been almost two years now, sound hasnt come back.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sway bar wouldn't give you multiple pops like that. Same with the struts or strut towers.

I would look at the rack bushings like they said, but I'm still not sure why that would do it.

Check your tires and check your rim to see if you might have something like the weights to balance your wheel rubbing when you have the tire at full lock. It could be something like that.

Most suspension issues will either give you a whine, grind or just 1 pop. You don't usually hear multiple unless its a rotating part.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is there a way to check if the wheel bearings are bad instead of taking it to a shop?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
yes. jack up front end, get tires off the ground, grab top of tires, and rock them. rock on them as if you tryint to get top of tire to move toward and away form you. if they hve no play, they are good. if the have slop in them at all, then you have hub assembly issue.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said,,my tires are solid. Had it on a lift, and the tires has ZERO play in them. Which makes me thing wheel bearing, and ball joints are ok.

The sound is not dependant on speed. I'm usually crawling,,it's when the weight of the car is shifting to the driver's side as I make the right hand turn (the more I pay attention to it, the less it happens,,if at all, on left hand turns.)

I'm thinking it's steering related.
I'm not going full lock/turn,,,about 90% though.
Sounds like a metal bearing being dropped on a metal plate, and the bouncing sound is the *pop* I hear.

Never played with steering components yet,,,weeeee :)

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
So my car makes a very repetitive *pop* when making a very tight right/left hand turn (like busting a U). If I go grandma slow, crawling, it doesn't happen. If I drive normal (very lightly still), it happens every time. It happens 100% of the time in one spot, as I'm turning nearly full lock to the right (not all the way) and the pavement dips, then rises (one street meeting another). Other places is a gamble,,but this one spot it always happens. Very annoying.

It's at least 4-5 good *pops*

balljoints? (I'm very familiar with balljoint problems,,but this sound is like a metal marble bouncing on metal,,,if that makes sense.). I'm used to a balljoints just making ONE *pop*,,this sounds like a loose sway bar......(read below)

something in the steering?

Car feels tight on the hwy. Tracks straight,,,no drifting,,very responsive. No pops or other bad sounds at any other time.

What's going on? '02gt 5spd (doesn't matter if I'm in gear or not)

----OH YA,,,I noticed the sway bar hanger,,the part that connects the front sway bar to car (there's two of them),,under the hood, bottom of the car,,one of the metal arms appeared to be cracked open on the driver's side. Was just barely split open,,and the other side did not have this split (it looked so clean I could see it being factory/normal). Is the sway bar 'sway'n' over to one side,,and that hanger/mount that's split is making a pop sound? (all the bushings look good) With car on a lift I grabbed the front tires, and there's was absolutley ZERO play in the tires.

help me out,,,i need to make this problem go bye bye!
Ball-joints, lubrication, or bushings.... I had the same problem with my Ranger when it was slammed.. new Ball-Joints and greasing up the suspension it was all fixed...

It' s a good idea to check out all the parts while you're under there, the pads on the coil springs, linkages etc.. something could be rubbing too..

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spent a good 2-3hrs under it on Sat.,,,the suspension felt very tight/good. No visible wear marks, nothing loose.

I'm used to ball joint problems,,,,and I'm 95% sure it isn't the ball joints,,,just doesn't sound,,or FEEL like it. Ball joints are cheap though,,so I might throw a new pair in there just for the sake of it,,,probably riding on the stockers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts