Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I finally stripped my motor down (that I pulled out over 2 years ago while doing strut tower/frame repair) just dropped it off to machine shop last sat.

anyway... what is this (circled in red) under the timing chain sprocket bolt and what's it for? I will be installing a new ford racing timing chain set with E303 cam, but wanted to make sure I didn't need to put that thing back. I wasn't expecting to see that on there.....

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Underneath the cam bolt? Good question. Usually the fuel pump eccentric would go there, but that...?

right that what I said... but this wouldn't/shouldn't even have that since it's out of a '90 GT...

And I'm 99% sure this is the motor that came in car... car has 165k on it... I posted up some #'s here a few months back, that I found on motor, near starter ect..... which confirmed it was a '90's block... and when I did rip the motor apart last week, I found the 5 digit number on the back where the intake sits, that matches the last 5 of my VIN (which is what/where it is suppose to be right), the last 2 digit's were hard to read (not stamped hard enough) but I'm pretty sure they were right, the first 3 numbers 100% were...

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Took a closer look. It seems as though there's a stamped piece that comes straight off and away from the cam gear? That's probably Ford's way of replacing what weight the fuel pump eccentric might add to the balance factor, instead of changing the actual balance factor. That's my guess.

OR!

or...

Does that thing have a cam sensor? It's an awfully big chunk of stamped steel for a cam sensor...but?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took a closer look. It seems as though there's a stamped piece that comes straight off and away from the cam gear? That's probably Ford's way of replacing what weight the fuel pump eccentric might add to the balance factor, instead of changing the actual balance factor. That's my guess.

OR!

or...

Does that thing have a cam sensor? It's an awfully big chunk of stamped steel for a cam sensor...but?
no it was only the 3 parts, the bolt, washer and that part...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never seen a pump ring like that,try a ford truck forum,maybe they used it on certain trk motors,got me.....Ford parts counter time.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Looks like an oil slinger for the timing chain, but the end has been cut off.

Check your oil pan to make sure the other half isnt sitting down there. It may have broken off and fell into the pan, or was cut off during an overhaul as it may have interfered with the timing cover. Also, if it breaks off it can get caught in the timing chain, so your timing chain may have been done atleast once already.

Some were part of the timing sprocket, like this.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like an oil slinger for the timing chain, but the end has been cut off.

Check your oil pan to make sure the other half isnt sitting down there. It may have broken off and fell into the pan, or was cut off during an overhaul as it may have interfered with the timing cover. Also, if it breaks off it can get caught in the timing chain, so your timing chain may have been done atleast once already.

Some were part of the timing sprocket, like this.

what do you mean cut off, mine looks just like the first picture you posted.... it sits under the cam bolt/washer...

in any case, was this some type of after market thing?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
what do you mean cut off, mine looks just like the first picture you posted.
Thats what i get for not paying attention. I see it now. Some call it a one piece eccentric but the majority calls it a slinger, so thats what i call it. It was not an aftermarket part. Ford put it there. When they started to use it and when they stopped i have no clue., but they have been found on the F series and Bronco as well. You dont really need it tho. There are plenty of other 5.0 and 5.8 fuellies out there that have been running just fine without.

If anyone else knows 100% if that it is in fact a slinger, or an eccentric, do let me know.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
It's an oil slinger. They stopped putting those on in the 90's sometime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts