Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hoodrat
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, bought my 1999 GT in May. 5-Speed Manual, 75K miles, I've always wanted a New Edge. I've done the basic first mods, window tint, exhaust, CAI, Tuner, Stereo, swapped trunks (wanted the 01+ look), HID's...etc. I've been saving up for a while and all i asked for, for christmas was american muscle giftcards and money. I'm taking her to Mustang Week this summer, and I definitely want to have her running strong and looking good. What do y'all think of underdrive pulleys, short throw shifters, sub-frame connectors? Any worth installing, any noticeable differences? Give me some help, Idk what to do next!
Thanks!

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Looks great besides I don't personally like the headlight tint. Some new 03/04 headlights would look amazing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Drivability wise I'd go for a short throw. I got a tri-ax and it changes those rubber feeling stock shifts. Might as well change trans oil as well. Both easy to do.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Don't waste your money on underwdrive pulleys. Personally experienced how worthless they were.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if ur thinking shifter i got a mgw and love it compared to stock

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
New member here, bought my 1999 GT in May. 5-Speed Manual, 75K miles, I've always wanted a New Edge. I've done the basic first mods, window tint, exhaust, CAI, Tuner, Stereo, swapped trunks (wanted the 01+ look), HID's...etc. I've been saving up for a while and all i asked for, for christmas was american muscle giftcards and money. I'm taking her to Mustang Week this summer, and I definitely want to have her running strong and looking good. What do y'all think of underdrive pulleys, short throw shifters, sub-frame connectors? Any worth installing, any noticeable differences? Give me some help, Idk what to do next!
Thanks!
lower it.
1CleanGt,

Welcome to Modded! You've done a great job with your New Edge so far, it's very tastefully done. You'll meet a lot of great people and find a ton of awesome reads on this forum!

AM gift cards are the perfect Christmas present, I hope to get a few as well :)! UD Pulleys, Short Shifter and Sub Frame connectors are all great mods. These are some of the first parts I installed on my 2004 Mach1, all three of these tie in together with other components!

I agree with RZNCAIN as well! Lowering your car is one of the most beneficial mods you can do. Springs will lower your Mustangs center of gravity, to reduce squat during acceleration, body roll in the corners, and excessive nose-dive under hard braking. Lowering Springs feature more control than that of the stock factory springs, but are still comfortable enough for daily driving and occasional track use.

This is just a few suggestions. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Definitely do not waste $$ on underdrive pullies.

Get a MGW shifter, and some 3.73 gears, then save for a super charger. Even Sub frame connectors aren't that vital. Id definitely do the shifter, and save more for a supercharger!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'd honestly first do the shifter and springs, not sure if you have decent exhaust set up bit if not deff O/R h/x, I PERSONALLY IMO would say if you can get a good deal get em i noticed not a huge improvement but the gauges don't lie. I only say shifter cause you feel it all the time and I'd recommend tri axe FTW. Mgw is niice tho just real tight I don't like it on the 3650

My.02

Probably don't need the FLWSFC yet but good to have id say +1 on the gears too that's the best bang.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
MGW shifter. MM full length frame connectors. UDP only if you can find used Steeda's for a good price and are doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I would not waste the money on the under drive pulleys. I do recommend the frame connectors and a short throw. I have a MGW short throw and love it!

·
Hoodrat
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, looks like i'll be installing a short-throw for sure over Christmas break.
This guy right here is so excited for Christmas, more car parts!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would first change the plugs,fuel filter, all the liquids in the vehicle, oil, trans, diff, power steering, brake, coolant, then get some gears, and lower it a bit with some good shocks/struts. Combine that with a nice set of tires and C/C plates and you will have a nice ride that handles well for what it is. If you want to improve performance then like others have mentioned get a supercharger. It truly is the best bang for your buck power adder. That with some gears and you are going to have a very quick daily driver with decent reliability and good looks.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
A MGW short throw shifter is a great mod and makes driving much more fun. FLSFCs are great too and really stiffen the chassis and improve handling. Under drive pulleys dont add much power, but they do add to the appearance of the engine. I have a set if your interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As most have stated already, lowering the car would not only give you that great looking stance but also improve your handling, serving a dual purpose. I also agree with 02gtowner that you don't want to overlook the basics, like checking and changing simple fluids and filters, especially with plans to take the car on trips. My advice to you would be to decide what you want to do with the car (looks or performance) or maybe both. There are hundreds of mods that we can add to our cars and unless you have an open checkbook, you'll never have them all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts