Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have 18x9.5'' fr500 rims on my car with 275 35 18'' tires all the way around. my front rims rub BAD on my downpipes. i have to get skinner rims on the front of my car. my issue is that i love my rims, and the skinniest they make the fr500 style is 18x9's. i dont think that's gona be skinny enough to clear. i dont have the money to just buy some and try them out. i wanna keep some wide rims in the back, so i guess i have to get a staggered style (which i want, i want a deep dish). so i guess if i have to sell my rims and get a matching set, whats a good brand/style that everyone would look good on my car? oh, and i do not like bullit style rims...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
why not just but a smaller tire. a 245/40/18 is what I have on my 18" fr500 rims in the front and they never rub or anything.
Mines also lowered 1 1/2 inches

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my tires and rims didn't rub til i put the twin turbo kit on. it rubs on the downpipes. i was told the smallest tire that i can put on my rims are 235 40 18, but if i mount the tires i cant return them if they still rub.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
What backspacing are your 9.5s? I've got 17x9s with, and if I went half an inch wider I'd be rubbing on the strut. As it is, I slightly rub on my swaybar at full lock.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
well, the same thing could go for OP as well. i guess thats one thing we drag guys dont have to worry about :) (i a twisties guy at heart :() if we do get in that situation, then we probably about to be in a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are you sure the wheels are 18/9.5 I have never seen fr500 in that size. A 235/40 will fit if it is a 9 inch rim but it will look narrow on the rims. I had them on my foxbody.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
96 sleeper... what hp are u putting down? what kit are u using?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah mine are 9.5'' wide. it says so on the inside of the rim. i was told i could use the 235-40's on my rims by a tire rack rep. i havent gotten my car aligned up yet since im still not driving it yet. the front wheels rub now just by turning the car a lil bit, not even close to lock. what i think im going to do is just by 18x9's and put 1/2 inch wheel spacers on the front, and run maybe some 245's and hope for the best.

-Boostang, its an HP stage 3 1/2 kit, twin 67mm BB turbos. i havent had it tuned yet so i dont know what numbers its gona make. the kit will support 1100rwhp. im planning on running roughly 550-600rwhp.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ReverendDexter, im not sure what backspacing, sorry. i dont know how to figure that out...

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
ReverendDexter, im not sure what backspacing, sorry. i dont know how to figure that out...
If you put a straight-edge across the inside lip of the rim, then measure the distance between that and where the wheel mounts to the hub, that'll give you the backspacing. Mustang rims usually have about 5.5-6", any more than that and you'll run into issues like you're having.

Ignore where this picture comes from, it was the first one I found on google, hahaha.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice. makes perfect sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts