Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still not getting into the 12s with my car. Put on a set of BMR boxed LCAs and it took all the wheel hop out but shes still not hooking up. Best run at the track tonight was a 1.9 sixty foot and a 13.33 at 105.6 mph. Spun the tires on launch, in 2nd gear and got rubber in 3rd. This is all on motor not the nitrous. Only thing I can think of before going into more suspension stuff is to get aluminum DS in and then start looking for a set of race star wheels. Id this the right way to go out should I be looking into another direction?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
mabey a set of drag radials and race stars are in order.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Look at your tires before you go any further. You dont need more power, you cant even hook now.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
What tires are you running?? It doesn't matter how many parts you throw at the car if the rubber isn't there. How are you launching it? Are you just going WOT off idle? Are you slipping the clutch? All of this will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have mickey thompson et streets on the stock 18 inch wheels right now and was running 12 psi of air in them. i tried launching it at 3500 and it still spun the tires. tried slipping the clutch and it still spun them jutst a little but my 60 foot was a 2.0 doing that. i even had another guy i know run it and the best he did was a 13.3 with a 1.9 60 foot. guys at the track are telling me that i need a set of race stars and then get more into the suspension.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ok that's plenty of tire to run 12's. How long are your burnouts? Are you doing them in 1st or 2nd gear? Right after your burn out are you backing up just alittlte then going toward to reengauge the clutchs in the rearend?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
in first gear. i just carry my burn out out of the water box up to about the line then stage the car. its not a big smokey burn out. a line lock kit is on my list of stuff as well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in first gear. i put it in first and dump the clutch and the just ride it up to about the line. its not a big smokey burn out.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Like said, that's plenty of tire and suspension to get much less than a 2.0 60'.

Try doing the burnouts in 2nd gear as 2nd gear will heat the tire much more because of the increase in the speed. Are you just mashing the gas out of the hole? It might need to be feathered due to track conditions which no one has mentioned.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I put down a 1.97 60' on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 street tires (275's) with a minimal burnout and a launch with no clutch dumping and no tire spin...and your tires are far superior.

I do have Steeda Sport springs and Tokico D-Specs and I had them adjusted for full loose (7 out) to get the weight to transfer, so my thinking is the fault is either in a poor burnout / pressure in your tires or you need a driver mod to drop that 60'...because you lack the power to make it up on the top end if your 60' is slow even with the juice.

My time is a consistent 12.4 to 12.7 with the TVS.

I *might* pull off high 11's now with my long tubes, high flow cats and coast driveshaft but I haven't done a run yet with that setup.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
not to thread jack, but, where would be a safe place to practice burnouts and launching,and not get into trouble?
i really want to go to the track but i know nothing about any of it. i mean, i get the jist of it. but, ive never done a burnout and ive never really launched my car. i may have the other day but i dont know what you call a launch and i call a launch. anyways, sorry again for threadjacking

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Find an old road out in the middle of bfe. Or contact a local busniess and talk to the owner and let him know that you just want to use a small area to practice. It's usualy easier though to find a road outside of town to practice on. Oh and do a 2nd gear burnout. Hold it till it really starts pushing the car. Dr's need to get hot to get sticky. So smoke it up. I'd say try a 10sec burnout first and then up it by 5 seconds till you think they are getting sticky enough. If your tires aren't picking up every pebble on the return road you probably didn't get them hot enough.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
the track is way different than the street... you can't really get the feel of doing a burnout on a rubber coated burnout box anywhere else... there are many things to get the feel for when you race at a strip... you just gotta go...

OP... drag radials need to be hot to hook... 2nd gear burnout for sure... go around and back into the water box if you can that way the water off you front tires isn't dripping on the track in front of the rears.. pay close attention to where the groove in.. it will be the darkest areas of the track... do not be first in the rotation.. let the other cars heat the track up for you...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
He's just wanting to practice DOING a burnout. If he's not used to doing a burnout at all then just going to the track is going to throw him for a loop. And yes i know how diffrent a burnout on the street and at the track are. I've had nearly 800 passes in 10 diffrent cars over the years. Staying in the groove can make or break a good pass. If you can stage behind a car with slick as they will heat up the track the best. My srt will blow the tires off for blocks on the street just jumping on it. It only goes for about 300ft at the track lol. My TA dead ass hooks at the track were it doesn't on the street(it still does rather good though).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
deff going to get a line lock kit first then see what i can do. there were lots of 8 second and 9 second cars there last night. so i would run on the lance that the most of them ran on. hoping to get better grip but never did. i am not using the juice right now either. i am wanting to get traction first and then hit it because when the 474 foot pounds or torque hit who knows what could happen if i am not hooking up.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Very good idea. Next time you go have a friend line you up in the groove. A burnout with a line lock is 1000x easier than trying to side step to hit the brakes to do a burnout. With a line lock you should be just fine. Oh how much air are you runing in your tires?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am running 12 psi in them

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Um that's not enough for a dr. Try bumping it up to 15 psi. And make sure thats after you make your first pass as air pressure rises when you get the tires hot. If your running 12 psi with the tires cold then you might be ok. What size are the tires?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
265 40 18

1 - 20 of 25 Posts