Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am getting some wheel hop when I launch the car. I have adjustable upper and lower control arms. Do I need more or less pinion angle? Thanks

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
What do you have it set at now?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Need more info. What tires? Measure the angle. Are the arms you have bushed solid or poly? Are both uppers and lowers adjustable?

My thought is that pinion angle has zero to do with your wheel hop by the way.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never had a problem with it until I put the blower on and had some real power. Running 315/35s nitto 555s. Both upper and lowers are adjustable.
These are the control arms I am running.
1999-2004 Ford Mustang Pro Street Adjustable Upper & Lower Control Arm Package

I cant measure the angle right now. But when I installed these we put them right in place of the stock control arms so the angle should be the same as a stock mustang.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Need tire info. Putting them in place doesn't mean they're set to stock length, the stock units should be measured then the new arms set to that length. If you're talking about wheel hop on a non-sticky radial on the street pinion angle won't eliminate or change it.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need tire info. Putting them in place doesn't mean they're set to stock length, the stock units should be measured then the new arms set to that length. If you're talking about wheel hop on a non-sticky radial on the street pinion angle won't eliminate or change it.
Running 315/35 Nitto 555. Yes I measured the old control arms and set the new ones to the same length. What could I do to eliminate the wheel hop?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Wheel hop is caused mainly by poor traction. I don't know where your suspension geometry is but I suspect too much power (your sig says 498 hp) on a normal, average every day tire on the street. Pinion angle isn't going to fix it.

Wheel hop occurs typically due to suspension slop. The pinion snout wants to rise upon load...... flexy suspension parts get to the breaking point and the tires lose traction(because they're normal, average every day street tires) and the loaded bushings now unload and spring back to their relaxed state. Then the tires grab again, load the suspension bushings, the tires lose traction and the bushings spring back to their relaxed state. See the pattern here. Ford added the quad shocks ( the horizontal shocks that mount to the top of the axle and rear of the frame rails). The quad shocks were a band aid to the real problem.... they are among the first thing I remove from any Mustang I buy. Sticky tires...... on a track.... my suspicion is that your wheel hop will vanish. Pinion angle won't fix your problem.

Reactions: wicked96gt

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
pinion angle might not fix it but it can help.. if your running solid suspension i would do -2 degrees.. thats where i got my best 60fts at
On a sticky tire at the track I agree completely. We don't even know what his pinion angle is.... and this is most likely on a traditional street tire on asphalt. Completely different animal.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is your shock/spring setup?
Lowered on H&r ss springs and stock shocks for now. I plan on upgrading shocks and struts all around in the next few months hopefully.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just by lowering it you changed your "stock" pinion angle. You need to measure your pinion angle and let us know what it is
Ok well ill have to wait until this weekend to measure it but I will let you guys know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts