Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should be getting 18 inch foose wheels in this week, and i was wondering if its nesecary to have the wheel sensors or is there a way to bye pass them whitout having it read low tire pressure all summer long.
and do they have to be programed , since my tires are an inch smaller[245/45/18 so they can fit 8.5 inch mags].

·
Registered
535 Posts
+1 I love Grabber Orange, especially w/black accent.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i'm using the stock 18" wheels for winter, so i can't switch the sensors.
but what are guys whith 20" wheels doing.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Monster, the right way is to buy a new set of bands and sensors, you will have to have ford make them read correctly each time you switch. The majority just live with having to reset the display message.

There has been a supposed successful attempt at playing with the TPMS system on modular. The person loaded the sensors inside of a air tight PCV enclosure 3" diameter to be exact and put an air fill on it. He pressurized the tube and leaves it in the spare tire compartment. Swears it works. Apparently the sensor is not sending a signal to the hub on these cars, but to a centralized reader. So in theory it should work.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Dealership hits you for an hour of tech time, so whatever the hourly rate is there for you. It takes em less than 5 minutes.

Bands vary, through ford 50 per pair, so 100 bucks for just the bands.. Discount tire sells em for 50 bucks for all 4.

Sensors cost about 50 a piece last I checked retail..

You can program them in yourself with these Ford Procedures, many people struggle with it.. You need this tool (ford p/n 8c2t-1a203-ab)

GENERAL PROCEDURES
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
NOTE:
The tire pressure monitoring system is not

(TPMS) Sensor Training
affected by wheel and tire rotation.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position,

Special Tool(s)
then press and release the brake pedal.

Vehicle Communication Module
(VCM) and Integrated
2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position

Diagnostic System (IDS)
to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the

software with appropriate
RUN position. Do not wait more than one

hardware, or equivalent scan
tool
minute between each key cycle.
3. Press and release the brake pedal.

Activation Tool, Tire Pressure
Monitor
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

204-363
5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position
to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the
RUN position. Do not wait more than one
minute between each key cycle.

The horn will sound once and the TPMS

NOTE:
A new tire pressure sensor is shipped in an indicator will flash if the training mode has
OFF mode (or battery saver mode) and must be been entered successfully. If equipped, the
turned ON before it can be trained. To turn the message center will display TRAIN LF
sensor ON, deflate the tire slightly if necessary, then TIRE.
inflate the tire to the recommended inflation
pressure and wait at least 2 minutes, then continue 6. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate
with the sensor training procedure. a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the
activation tool must remain in place 180

NOTE:
The tire pressure sensor training procedure degrees from the valve stem.
must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without
radio frequency (RF) noise and at least 1 meter (3 Place the activation tool on the LF tire sidewall
feet) away from other vehicles equipped with opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem.
TPMS. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the
tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the
RF noise is generated by electrical motors and smart junction box (SJB).
appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote
transmitters, power inverters and portable
entertainment equipment.

NOTE:
If a sensor does not respond to the
activation tool, attempt to activate the same sensor
with the activation tool. If the sensor still does not
respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at
least 1/4 of a turn and attempt to activate the same
sensor again.

NOTE:
If the SJB does not recognize any 1 of the
4 tire pressure sensors during the sensor training
procedure, the horn will sound twice and the
message center (if equipped) will display TIRE
NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the procedure must
be repeated.

Copyright
ã 2006, Ford Motor Company

Last updated: 06/19/2006
2007 Mustang, Mustang GT 8/2006

204-04-2 Wheels and Tires 204-04-2
GENERAL PROCEDURES (Continued)
7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place 8.
NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes
the activation tool on the RF tire sidewall between training each sensor.
opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem to Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
train the RF tire pressure sensor.
The procedure is completed after the last tire
has been trained. When the training procedure
is complete, the message center (if equipped)
will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message
center, successful completion of the training
procedure will be verified by turning the
ignition switch to the OFF position without the
horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when
the switch is turned to the OFF position, the
training procedure was not successful.
9. Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS
sensor IDs trained to the SJB and document
them on the applicable warranty claim.
10. NOTE: This step is required to clear DTC
C2780, cause the SJB to exit the manufacturing
mode and to make sure there are no other
concerns with a newly programmed SJB.
If the sensors are being trained due to the
installation of a new SJB, clear any DTCs and
perform the SJB on-demand self-test.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when i checked 2days ago it was 360$ for 4 +stapps.
they started using them starting 2007, because of law change that rendered them mandatory.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you read how Ford's TPMS system works, it actually senses the rpw's of the wheel thru the abs channel.
It has nothing to do with the actual pressure in the tire.
A tire low on air will spin faster than the rest and set off the tire monitoing sensor.
putting one in a chamber charged with air does nothing.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
If you read how Ford's TPMS system works, it actually senses the rpw's of the wheel thru the abs channel.
It has nothing to do with the actual pressure in the tire.
A tire low on air will spin faster than the rest and set off the tire monitoing sensor.
putting one in a chamber charged with air does nothing.
That makes no sense, though. When I put my car away for the winter, the tires were at 32 psi. When I took the car out last week for it's first oil change, the pressure was low due to temp changes. Before I even moved the car, the TPMS warning was going off. So how could it possibly work on rpm? I was told that it works from rf signals sent to the PCM. By my service manager at the dealer.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
That makes no sense, though. When I put my car away for the winter, the tires were at 32 psi. When I took the car out last week for it's first oil change, the pressure was low due to temp changes. Before I even moved the car, the TPMS warning was going off. So how could it possibly work on rpm? I was told that it works from rf signals sent to the PCM. By my service manager at the dealer.
Zip, your correct, which is why I just posted an LOL, that's the second bit of information I seen today from the same poster with poor validity. The other was within a window problem section where it was stated to just open and close the window a few times to correct a quarter drop issue.. I could pull over several modular posts that validate it's successful..

Your service manager is correct by the way, and that's sayin something these days..

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Zip, your correct, which is why I just posted an LOL, that's the second bit of information I seen today from the same poster with poor validity. The other was within a window problem section where it was stated to just open and close the window a few times to correct a quarter drop issue.. I could pull over several modular posts that validate it's successful..

Your service manager is correct by the way, and that's sayin something these days..
Yeah I figured by the tone of your LOL you were saying that. (you know you've been on a forum too long when you can tell your friend's tone by their lol's) :lmao

Yes, my service manager is amazing. He has never let me down, never bullshits me, and in the 10 years I've been dealing with him, he has helped me with multiple problems, and always made me satisfied.

All Hail John Williams at Thor Motors! :bow

lol

1 - 20 of 71 Posts