Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size wheel spacers should I get to look the best for my car? Also if anyone has a picture of their car with spacers on I'd appreciate it. Is there anything I'll need to know if I'm putting wheel spacers on my car?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Installing wheel spacers requires two things :yes

The first being clearance to run one. Depending on the wheel width and off-set, this can vary quit a bit. An OEM 8" wheel can easily be pushed out 1" and have no issues. A 9" or 10" wheel can usually be pushed out an equal amount, but rubbing is a possible issue. To confirm clearance, peep my Choosing a new tire thread and look under "I want fat meats" section for how to measure.

The second issue is the ends of the existing studs will protrude BEYOND the thickness of the spacer in nearly all cases. If the spacer is wide enough that the studs do NOT protrude past them, you are running too wide a spacer, IMO. Not all wheels will accept these protrusions, so you need to check the ones you wish to run.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have OEM bullits 8in and I have 1in spacers. Wish the wheel stuck out farther to be honest, I'd go with 1.5in or even 2in.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
:no

NOT a good idea, IMO. You are beginning to add sugnificant strain to the lug-bolts and bearings going that wide. I run a set of 1/2" spacers, but have replaced all the lug-bolts with race-grade longer studs so I have a full 1" of threads in each lug-nut.

Personally, I think 1" spacer is too much and would not run one myslef, but that is me :D

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have stock size rims for my cobra I'm not sure if that is 8in or 9in. But I want to get billet 1.25in spacers and it has the billet lugs. You think that would be a problem? I have 275/40/17 tires.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a cobra with the stock rims and 275s and imo it still needs to be pushed out a bit.

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts

1 and 1/2 inch wheel spacer's from AM :D

sit perfectly flush with the fender. :yes

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
245/40/17's all the way around on my stockers. :yes

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
the lug bolts? you mean wheel studs, and check out my 315s with spacer in my garage pics

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya sorry that's what I meant. So any recommendations on what I should get with 275s. I want a really aggressive look but I don't want any rubbing or anything.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
i was talking to jazzer but just get a 1" i broke two wheel studs with 315s and a 1"

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
So I have stock size rims for my cobra I'm not sure if that is 8in or 9in. But I want to get billet 1.25in spacers and it has the billet lugs. You think that would be a problem? I have 275/40/17 tires.
I believe the '97 OEM Cobra wheels are 8" wide. In such a case, a 275 is too much tire for a proper fit. I recommend you drop back down to a 245 on your next set of tires.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
i had my fr500s with 315s on them and a one inch spacer and somehow managed to snap two wheel studs in half... idk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe the '97 OEM Cobra wheels are 8" wide. In such a case, a 275 is too much tire for a proper fit. I recommend you drop back down to a 245 on your next set of tires.

I think both my pairs of rims are stock sizes, I'm not entirely sure though. I have 255s on one and I'm currently using 275s. Why are they too big for my rim? I mean I haven't had problems with it, but I have heard that before so I'm kind of wondering why the 275s are too big for stock

1 - 20 of 52 Posts