Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
A 275 is not rated to fit an 8" wheel, as it is too wide. This does NOT mean that nobody does it, but is a poor fit, creates poor tire wear, sloppy cornering and less than ideal bead seal around rim.

Take a peek at my Choosing a new tire thread and has more specifics near the bottom of page.

Jazzer :)

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I'm confused. The car in your garage and sig has aftermarket wheels. Did you sell them and opt back to stock?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Nope :no My car is an authentic Saleen, but the OEM wheels were beat up by a previous owner :mad: I needed new ones and went with a set of 9" & 10.5" knock-offs. I later had them cut/widened to where they are now :D

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Nope :no My car is an authentic Saleen, but the OEM wheels were beat up by a previous owner :mad: I needed new ones and went with a set of 9" & 10.5" knock-offs. I later had them cut/widened to where they are now :D

That was addressed at the OP.

I had to go with the "replica rims" knock offs for a while too. Fortunately I found someone local selling a set of authentics and jumped on it. I too have an authentic Saleen. Two actually, my wife has a nice 97 speedster.:D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey Jazzer, what about the hubcentric style 1.5" that bolt to the axle and then use their own wheel studs to bolt on the wheels? Do you see any issues with them?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts

I had to go with the "replica rims" knock offs for a while too. Fortunately I found someone local selling a set of authentics and jumped on it. I too have an authentic Saleen. Two actually, my wife has a nice 97 speedster.:D
I was not willing to purchase two full-sets of authentic Saleen wheels, only to spend another $1K+ to cut all 8 of them in half and widen to 10"s & 11"s.

Hey Jazzer, what about the hubcentric style 1.5" that bolt to the axle and then use their own wheel studs to bolt on the wheels? Do you see any issues with them?
A 1" spacer is too much for my taste and a 1.5" is even worse :( I am just not a fan of having a set of lug-nuts burried behind the wheels and the additional strain on the OEM studs and wheel bearings. I realize LOTS of people run them, just would not do so myself :no

Wheels are pretty darn inexpensive and would wait until new tires are needed and get both :yes

·
Registered
164 Posts

Back when I had my sportlines and 1.25" spacers
I think they're fine if you have a quality set and they're torqued properly. I got the idea in fact from an RB26DETT powered 350Z i saw in an option video, if it's good enough for a 600+ HP car that could spank most cars on here on a course, I think its good enough for a street mustang with more than likely less power

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not doubting your knowledge Jazzer, just saying that sometimes people get it set in their head that something is wrong whether others have had success with it or not. On a different note I do agree whole heart idly about 275s being too wide for an 8" rim

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I don't think it is "wrong", I just would not do it :no I think that one is better off with a set of wheels/tires that actually fill the wheel wells rather than just look like it ;)

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I was not willing to purchase two full-sets of authentic Saleen wheels, only to spend another $1K+ to cut all 8 of them in half and widen to 10"s & 11"s.

Makes perfect sense to me. I sold my original set as as straight up damaged with pics and everything and got enough to pay for the replica's. I just didn't like them after a couple months and started looking for another set of original 94-98 style rims. It took 3 years to find a set in good condition so I jumped on it when I found them. I sold the replica's and recouped about half my cost on the 2cnd set of authentics. All together I can't complain about how it worked out.

You don't have any clearance issues with 10's on the front?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I would have like to remain authentic, just not worth it :(

I have only a bit of rubbing on my PS2's, but the R888's don't rub at all. I have steering rack limiters installed and lost 1 notch. I kinda miss that little bit extra radious, as causes me the need to 2-point turn every so often. Oh well, just one of the MANY prices I pay for the abilty to rip corners.

Ask me if it's worth it...?

**** ya!

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
It's a blast EVERY time I driver her :yes

I certainly don't drive the street, as I do open-track or AX, but she turns JUST as well at all three :cool:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Neither pair of rims I own are stock but I'm pretty sure they are the same size as stock or maybe 17x9. I'm not sure really with 275s I'm not seeing any bulging or anything so idk

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I can tell by the look of the tire/rim relationship. Give us a pic looking at this angle:

I will be able to tell you by the amount of bulge on tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really nice stang tfofkyle! I have the same wheels and same size tires on my '95. I think the spacing is just right from your pictures. I like to keep the same size tires, do you think 1.25in is better? I notice that spacers are advertised in metric. Looks like 25mm or 30mm comes close to 1 inch... I just want to ask if your spacers are metric and if so which one did you use. Also what brand and are they hubcentric? thanks!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Really nice stang tfofkyle! I have the same wheels and same size tires on my '95. I think the spacing is just right from your pictures. I like to keep the same size tires, do you think 1.25in is better? I notice that spacers are advertised in metric. Looks like 25mm or 30mm comes close to 1 inch... I just want to ask if your spacers are metric and if so which one did you use. Also what brand and are they hubcentric? thanks!
thanks man. it was just the look i was going for. theyre 1" spacers from 50resto.com. my buddy actually has a pair of 1.25" spacers on his 94 gt, and they sit more flush with the rear fender - but they tend to look awkward at certain angles, particularly because he has 17x8's and 245 series tires. so i decided to play it safe with the 1" and ive been very happy with my decision. no regrets:

Mustang Wheel Spacer, 5-Lug, 1" at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
25mm = 1"

I think it is somewhere around 25.6mm, but not concensus on it so it is close enough, dammit :mad:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your before pics look great, I've wanted those wheels for the longest time, think they look great on the round bodys

21 - 40 of 52 Posts