41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
needs less sidewall imo. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks John98! Vince's98, you're right. But I was being practical when I bought the tires with 45 sidewall. You can see in the pics how the street looks crappy. Driving in NYC, the streets are like minefields with potholes. So I thought a little extra cushion would make for a better ride and hopefully save my rim from bending when hitting a pothole.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just curious, if you just put 1" wheel spacers on the back and not the front will it create issues with alignment or any issues? I got some 245/45/17 on cobra rims and sometime in the later future i wanna put 1" spacers in the back to make the stance look a little better but the front looks fine imo. I would just upgrade to 9"/10" whenever my tires are gone but i like rotating my tires for more life and 10" wouldnt make that work.

Also how do you see if your rims are authentic?? I got some 17" chrome cobras from a mexican guy who seemed to know no english and nothing about them at all hell they were probably stolen but it was for a good price and they have the cobra centercaps but they wiggle around a little bit and after reading this thread i wonder if he just stuck cobra centercaps inside a replica lol. The rims have a bunch of little weights on the inside of em 5+ for sure maybe up to ten if that means anything i dunno.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
A spacer will create no alignment issues, but only possible rubbing ones :yes

When you go 10"s out back, the spacer will likely have to be removed. You may no longer want it anyway, but a 10" wheel will be inset a bit further than a 9" wheel with a 1" spacer. This can "appear" to look as though you got narrower wheels, even though they are 1" wider.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
my friends mustang just broke a wheel stud too because of a wheel spacer. we are done with them all they do is loosed your lug nuts and break studs

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just curious, if you just put 1" wheel spacers on the back and not the front will it create issues with alignment or any issues? I got some 245/45/17 on cobra rims and sometime in the later future i wanna put 1" spacers in the back to make the stance look a little better but the front looks fine imo. I would just upgrade to 9"/10" whenever my tires are gone but i like rotating my tires for more life and 10" wouldnt make that work.

Also how do you see if your rims are authentic?? I got some 17" chrome cobras from a mexican guy who seemed to know no english and nothing about them at all hell they were probably stolen but it was for a good price and they have the cobra centercaps but they wiggle around a little bit and after reading this thread i wonder if he just stuck cobra centercaps inside a replica lol. The rims have a bunch of little weights on the inside of em 5+ for sure maybe up to ten if that means anything i dunno.
The weights are used to balance your tires so they wear evenly.. Those have nothing to do with authenticity. Every set of rims should have those weights.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thats a hell of alot of weights.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks Jazzer glad to know that if i just put spacers out back it wont create any issues only the possibility of rubbing guess it will make my 8" tires look thinner but the stance will look better.

And yeah i figured they were for balance iv just only seen the little weights on the outside of the rim edge, never seen em inside the rim untill these. But im still iffy if my cobra rims are authentic... I mean they got the cobra centercaps and some rust areas and the insides look old as hell with no chrome left so they probably are true cobra rims vs. being replicas. It was just the fact that the centercaps wiggle around and i got them from a mexican that made me second guess it specially after reading this topic but works well enuff for me and damn sexy minus the few curb rashes.

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
how heavy are they?
factory authentics are pretty light, reps are HEAVY AS ****.

·
Registered
470 Posts
how heavy are they?
factory authentics are pretty light, reps are HEAVY AS ****.
Well i just ran out to the garage to go lift up my stock 17" aluminum GT rims and the cobra rims are definitely lighter by about 5-10 pounds and i just put on my rear cobra rims about 2 days ago when i replaced my broken rear sway bar. Both rims are 17" and both have the same size tire on with about the same air pressure so i doubt the tires weight is that much different but the cobra rims are definitely lighter :D

41 - 52 of 52 Posts