Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a 2003 Mach 1 (54k mi). Whenever I brake the car, it pulls to the right. The steering wheel also moves with it without me even touching it. It also makes some weird noise when I break. I'm wondering what could this possible mean? I don't want the wheel to come off while i'm going down the highway. Haha!:facepalm:

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
I would say you've got a frozen slider or caliper on the driver side that's not actually braking when you push the pedal, and only the passenger is braking which is causing the pull.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
To test this, pull the front wheels off and grab a c clamp. Put the rod of the clamp on the outside pad and the clamp on the back side of the caliper and try compressing the piston. If the piston takes excessive force you have a frozen piston. If it seems to compress OK, then grab the whole caliper and try to move it back and forth with you hand. It should move freely. If not you have a frozen slider ( I would say this is your most likely cause).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Dont the pistons have to spin in order to compress, im pretty sure if you just straight compress them it ****s it. I could be wrong.. but yeah I wouldn't compress it as there are far easier ways to tell if it is seized.

does the rotor have rust on it? Inside or out.
Is the pad worn unevenly (more on the front less on the back)
Is there excessive brake dust on your wheels
does it pull to one side (Your symptom)
If you want to compress them to see get a buddy to push the brakes for you while you look... c-clamp.. pft..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dont the pistons have to spin in order to compress, im pretty sure if you just straight compress them it ****s it. I could be wrong.. but yeah I wouldn't compress it as there are far easier ways to tell if it is seized.

does the rotor have rust on it? Inside or out.
Is the pad worn unevenly (more on the front less on the back)
Is there excessive brake dust on your wheels
does it pull to one side (Your symptom)
If you want to compress them to see get a buddy to push the brakes for you while you look... c-clamp.. pft..
The fronts compress normally, the backs twist in while compressing.

·
Speed Junky
56 Posts
at 54k If you've needed to add brake fluid to the car, then your front brake pads are worn out causing the noise and pulling...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts