Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I said this before but I now feel this is doable and I just need some detailed assurance this is all I need.Ok I decided I am going to build my own kit from parts all over the place to build one sofar Ive come up with the following for me?
Sct Tuner
T70 Turbo $200
boost controller $10
Turbo cooling and inlet pipes $100
42lb injectors $369
SVT Cobra pump $190
Intercooler $100
oil feed drain lines $20
BOV $60
wastegate $60
would this be all I need to pursue this or would I also need a bigger MAF sensor and upgrade fuel rails or is the stock ones fine
Total in parts $1100 and people that im gonna try to get to help me for $150 a piece

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
well i'm not positive how great that's going to be. don't get me wrong, I wanted to do exactly what you do a couple months ago, but i just didn't feel it would be all that reliable. I found a new precidion turbo for 675 and was going to build from there, but then i saw how much it would cost without cheaping out. I wouldn't cheap out on a BOV/ wastegate though. I mean that could mean blowing your engine/ ruining your turbo. Heres the list I came up with, with some used parts.
turbo 675
tuner 350
dyno tune 400
injectors 150
fuel pump 150
oil feed/drain lines and fittings $35
BOV 150
Wastegate 200
hotside and coldside piping 125
gauges 200
maf-not sure, youll need something though. maybe a MAFia will work or lightning
then there is labor. and btw im just guessing at these prices for the most part, assuming you're shopping around. and i'm not saying you can't do it cheaper, im still convinced you could do it for ~1500 if you're getting stuff really cheap and free labor. but i decided to get a vortech v2 instead. ill be around 1500 for that when i'm done. but thats with me rebuilding the supercharger myself too. then another 600 or so for a cam. its tough to finally shell out the money haha
like everyone says, pick 3: CHEAP, RELIABLE, FAST

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
you do not want to cheap out on your pieces either, otherwise it wont last. you will want a good turbo and good bov and wastegates. then good tune and the rest will have to be completely customly fabed.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
I know I said this before but I now feel this is doable and I just need some detailed assurance this is all I need.Ok I decided I am going to build my own kit from parts all over the place to build one sofar Ive come up with the following for me?
Sct Tuner
T70 Turbo $200
boost controller $10
Turbo cooling and inlet pipes $100
42lb injectors $369
SVT Cobra pump $190
Intercooler $100
oil feed drain lines $20
BOV $60
wastegate $60
would this be all I need to pursue this or would I also need a bigger MAF sensor and upgrade fuel rails or is the stock ones fine
Total in parts $1100 and people that im gonna try to get to help me for $150 a piece
:shiftyeyes:no
theres a lot wrong with that list.
THE BIGGEST being a T70 Turbo for $200....if you even get an EBAY turbo for that little it has 2week limit writen all over it.
either way a T70 is much to big for a stock motor none the less with stock h/c/i
you want like a 54trim or 57trim...(t57)
My personal opinion. I ran a SC44 Garret Precision and it spooled very quick with 278rwhp to as much as 440rwhp
its going to cost much more then $200 for that turbo though....although i sold my SC44 for $100 but that was to a friend

second thing is this looks mostly like every part and price was picked off ebbay...which most people do so its common...but most parts are bad...
the only thing i know that works good off ebay is a 44mm Wastegate...i have to buddys with 700hp 2jz's that use that wastegate with no issue.

the BOV go Tial...best BOV you're going to buy.
My personal recommendation is Tial wastegate and BOV...you're going to spend money but it'll be done correctly...thats the only way to do a turbo setup...they're a headache at times as it is why go with parts that'll be half-a$$.

for $1000-1500 you're not going to piece a turbo kit together thats going to work well. period, theres no middle line or ground to it.

the intercooler...is a no as well. $100 intercooler is crap. I should have taken the pic of an SRT4 one night. ebay $100-150 intercooler the welds completely blew out where it meets the intercooler core. not just 1 spot...from top to bottom. sure maybe you wont have as much boost or that problem but why use an intercooler thats rated for 300hp and will be just as good as just a straight pipe probably

idk where you're getting a boost controller for $10 but i wouldnt buy it....
THE ONLY cheap style boost controller that works believe it or not is Home Depot. same 700hp 2jz's run home depot boost controllers:yes works for 22psi....i dont like recommending it just because people think that the rest of the kit can be like that...
those 2jz's run Precision intercoolers and $1,000 turbos with everything done correctly.

next thing...a GT40 pump is much better then a cobra pump and cheaper

another huge thing missed...exhaust and hot side piping...the custom stuff.. that isnt cheap. and has to be custom done. theres no way around it.

last but not least. theres NO CHEAP WAY TO DO A TURBO system...before i paid the $4000 for my turbo kit and setup i thought just like you....the quicker that gets out of your head the better off you'll be.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
also dont forget dyno tuning is important and getting the right intercooler piping and couplings. whats the point if at 8psi you blow off an intercooler pipe from somewhere

another thing..although the 44mm wastegate off ebay might work...the springs inside suck and collapse.
And when a spring collapse you will blow that motor. imagine racing...the wastegate spring collapses you shoot from 9psi to open wastegate...30+psi QUICKLY.you'll hit about 23psi before you let off..or blow the motor

if it doesnt collapse it'll get weak under pressure and heat and little by little that 8psi spring starts boosting 10, 12, 15psi etc etc..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also dont forget dyno tuning is important and getting the right intercooler piping and couplings. whats the point if at 8psi you blow off an intercooler pipe from somewhere

another thing..although the 44mm wastegate off ebay might work...the springs inside suck and collapse.
And when a spring collapse you will blow that motor. imagine racing...the wastegate spring collapses you shoot from 9psi to open wastegate...30+psi QUICKLY.you'll hit about 23psi before you let off..or blow the motor

if it doesnt collapse it'll get weak under pressure and heat and little by little that 8psi spring starts boosting 10, 12, 15psi etc etc..
Yeah you're right I dont want to destroy my car with cheap stuff I think I'll just try to save up more money until I have enough to have a kit custom fabbed that way I dont have to worry about destroying my car too much, but at some point Im still gonna get the tuner from American Muscle because I'll need it anyways later on and maybe I can get this done in another year or so and hope for a better paying job hahaha lol. otherwise this might take a while lol:cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turbos ok so I found a website that seems legit what turbo from this site would you recommend Turbos / Turbo Chargers Performance Racing Products for International Sales from SSAutochrome Inc. there are 2 pages btw one includes BOV, wastegate, and oil lines what do you think itschrisstorres could you recommend some sites that are good enough for this stuff Im gonna try to find a shop to help me out im gonna look around town tomorrow and let you know if I can find someone to help me

·
Registered
118 Posts
i thought if the spring collapsed the wastegate would open dumping all the extra pressure, or boost. The failure would be the wastegate not opening and all the pressure flowing up thru the turbine spinning the turbo faster for more boost?
a collapsed spring in the gate would be better than the spring holding the gate shut. However he is right on not trusting ebay gates, bov, or turbos.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
i thought if the spring collapsed the wastegate would open dumping all the extra pressure, or boost. The failure would be the wastegate not opening and all the pressure flowing up thru the turbine spinning the turbo faster for more boost?
a collapsed spring in the gate would be better than the spring holding the gate shut. However he is right on not trusting ebay gates, bov, or turbos.
actually nvm thats correct i was wrong. idk how or why i got it reversed. the spring would have to actually be stiff as a rock and not able to collapse or move

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been wanting to do a project like this as well.
I was originally going to get a kit, but when I e-mail the companies to see if they will sell parts seperately, they never respond.
I have an aftermarket intake manifold with the throttle body at the front of the engine.
Purchasing a complete turbo kit would be a waste of money because half of the kit would have to be custom fabricated and parts relocated anyway.
The only parts I'm having trouble locating are the turbo-headers and dump pipe, and relocation kits for the engine coolant over-flow tank and ABS.
Plus, I already have a Garrett T3/T4 turbo and would like to know if this is suitable for an engine of this size.. hoping somebody has prior experience with a T3/T4 hybrid set-up.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
how much did you pay for that turbo....#1
#2 you're probably going to have an impossible time finding the manifolds, crossover, and exhaust for it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought it locally for 600. The guy I bought it from bought it for his RX7 and never installed it. there's no movement in the shaft, so it should work fine as a temporary set-up.
I don't intend on racing the car, it's my daily driver and I use it for towing a jet-ski.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts