Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When installing 3.73 gears, what all do i need?

i'm looking to upgrade to 3.73s, i want to get all of the Pros/Cons before i take the dive though. so i have a few questions...

what other parts will i need to change out the gears?

how will it change the gas milage?

what difference in accel/top-end speed?

any other things you guys would caution me about getting the gears...thanks guys

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have 4.10s on my 08 3v. You really wont see a difference in mpg. Better on the city if you drive good, 1-2 loss on the freeway. No affect on top speed whatsoever. And you will need a bairing kit, shims, the and the gear set. If your going to stay na just jump up to the 4.10s!!!

You'll love them. Best mod I've done thus far.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Oh also, make sure you get them installed at a VERY reputable shop. The slightest mishap and you'll get gear whine :( I have backlash on mine (the shims were installed incorrectly so when im not on the gass it whines.) But this is generally only cosmetic.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
1986-11 Mustang 8.8" 4.10 Ratio Rear End Gear Kit With Ford Racing Gears at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
this is everything you need. And 08redgt hit it on the head with all the info he gave you on the mpg and what not. I went with 3.73s and only lost like 1-2 mpg on the highway the city mpg went up a bit. But Some with 4.10s will say they have lost more highway mpg but if you have a 5speed then you can drop into 5th when you want to with an auto its a bit different. went 3.73s years ago and i love them but i had plans on going supercharged and I did so i wasnt going any higher than 3.73s but thats another subject. good luck I hope that helped.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Definitely order a Install kit as you WILL NEED a new crush sleeve, pinion nut, shims, and a pinion seal! The kit also comes with new bearings which is basically a good thing to throw in while everything is out and apart if your car has any kind of substantial miles on it, 50k +. If you go to American Muscle they have a very descriptive install process that gives you step by step install procedure! i ordered my FRPP 4.10 and the install kit and completed the install myself in about 4 hours with no gear whine whatsoever! just take your time if your going the personal install route... will save you a good 200-300$ +. I got lucky and my backlash was perfect with the factor shims installed... Hopefully the same goes fo you =)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just ordered my FRPP 4:10's last night. Can't wait to have them installed! My car has been babied and has only 67k on the clock. I shouldn't need new bearings or anythign should I?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts