Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today on my way to my mom an dads i heard a loud pop noise from the driver side,car started soundeing weird.hesitating bad,well i finially got it to the house an looked under the hood an notice my 2 coil pack back was moving up an down,so i cut the engine off an take the coil pack off an the spark plug was in the rubber boot with the thread messed up.bad thing is the thread in the head are 2.would it be better to rethread it or get another head?really need some good advise here guys

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Now That Sucks!!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Isnt there an actual thread insert kit...i know the heli coil is basically that, but i seem to recall there is something a bit better than just a heli coil.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
has anyone here ever done this before.an i have heard a few ppl talk about spark plug blow outs.and if i have to take my head off,will i have to have a speacial thing to set the timing

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have changed heilcoils on smaller items for my job. Basicly you pull out the old heilcoil with a dethreader tool and like needle nose. Take a rethreader and tap the old hole, cleans up the soft metal.

Then you insert the new heilcoil, looks like a spring, it twist into the new threads you just made. seats in and your all good.

Now for the heads, It might end up being just adjusting the metal with new theards. Either way your going to get shaving everywhere so yes, you will prob have to take the head out so you can rethread and keep metal out of your engine.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i notices that 2 of the other plugs wasnt to tight an i had to tighten them baaack up

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
an the top of the plug was smashed in also,what couls this mean
an the top of the plug was smashed in also,what couls this mean
Blowing out plugs is very common on the 99-00 windsor blocks, i dont think any of them mashed up the plugs in the process. When they went to the romeo engine in 01 they addded more threads to solve the plug blow out problem.

Typically when you are mashing plugs, its because you have a serious detonation issue. Do you ever hear valve clatter or piston slap or any odd noises? Like in 4th gear at low rpms and ease onto the gas...do you hear any odd noises? I'm wondering if one of your hydraulic lifter (lash adjuster) is starting to fail. You say your car is stock, but does it have a chip or anything at all in it...or was any mods ever done by previous owner?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
oh and like i said earlier, i highly recommend a thread insert vs. a heli-coil...unless you want to go through the same battle again sometime down the road.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
If it comes down to you having to replace the head, drgnracin72 is selling a set of PI heads right now :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If it comes down to you having to replace the head, drgnracin72 is selling a set of PI heads right now :)
yep he does...they will need to be taken to a machine shop and cleaned up a bit...his heads came off a 04 gt, so they will have more threads in them.

Don't think he is at the point of needing new heads yet though...unless he wants to send the new ones off to get ported and polished :cool:

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
I mean if you have the cash, why not the heads will be off anyway, and the 04 heads will solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts