Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing the ford racing oil pump can you reuse the stock pickup instead of the one supplied? I’m not dropping the pan, or wasn’t planning on it anyways and not sure if I’m going to have the room to reach in and install the pickup that came with the oil pump. Also doesn’t look like it comes with a gasket or o ring that goes in between the pump and the pickup, those that have installed aftermarket pumps did you have to order that separately from the parts store or did yours come with the gasket or o ring (not sure which one is used, I assume a gasket)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the Ford Racing pump is 4v based. So do measure the tube size. There is a difference between a 4v and 2v pickup tube. With 4v type being bigger in diameter. If yours are both same size then a simple swap. I thought in other thread you mentioned getting a Melling pump?

As for o-ring I'm not sure how Ford is dealing with it on that pump. I know when I built current engine I got a new pickup tube from local Ford dealer for a 2v and it came with an orange o-ring.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the Ford Racing pump is 4v based. So do measure the tube size. There is a difference between a 4v and 2v pickup tube. With 4v type being bigger in diameter. If yours are both same size then a simple swap. I thought in other thread you mentioned getting a Melling pump?

As for o-ring I'm not sure how Ford is dealing with it on that pump. I know when I built current engine I got a new pickup tube from local Ford dealer for a 2v and it came with an orange o-ring.
I was going to get the Melling pump from that same skidmark mechanic that gave me the outrageous quote as the price for a new oil pump he had sitting around was good, but once he gave me the model number it said it was for 05-07 mustangs and would not fit my car so once again he let me down! I called ford racing today and they claim there’s an o ring on the pickup so we’ll see. I’m a machinist by trade so in all honestly if I can’t get at the bolts and the pickup flange doesn’t match I’ll just make a new one and tig weld it on at work. Time will tell once I rip the car apart next week.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
replace the pickup tube. it's larger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts