Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
:lol I hope I dont look like a re-re my first time to the track!
Just take note of how some of the regulars act/react to whats going on around them. One of the last times I went to a track and walked around the pits was at Nascar '09 in Az. Met Mcain and a few Generals, but also got to go hang out with the drivers and get inside thier pits. A few let me in the cars and some cool stuff like that. Just have common sence and treat everyone how you want to be treated or tbh treat the actual racers how you would treat the person who raised you (considering you respect that person) and all will go well! ;) just have fun.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I can't believe how stupid some of the spectators are . I've seen them park right behind an empty car trailer with the ramps down. I mean they're within a foot of the ramps. What do they think the trailer and ramps are for anyway ? Guess they're too lazy to park where the spectators are supposed to park and walk to the stands. Oh, and the babies without ear protection within a few feet of the starting line is another good one.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I can't believe how stupid some of the spectators are . I've seen them park right behind an empty car trailer with the ramps down. I mean they're within a foot of the ramps. What do they think the trailer and ramps are for anyway ? Guess they're too lazy to park where the spectators are supposed to park and walk to the stands. Oh, and the babies without ear protection within a few feet of the starting line is another good one.
Can't tell you how many times I see the babies at the track. I mean, those cars are loud to me, and I usually cover my ears when they go by, that shits ridiculous

Or, the car behind the car staging does a burnout and gets right on the ass end of the car in front of them.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i havent been to the track yet but im going to admit i did not think of the a/c. however, id probably have the heat on vent anyway.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Can't tell you how many times I see the babies at the track. I mean, those cars are loud to me, and I usually cover my ears when they go by, that shits ridiculous

Or, the car behind the car staging does a burnout and gets right on the ass end of the car in front of them.
yeah that kinda stuff annoys me when im at the track...i love seeing kids there having fun, but there are ages i think shouldn't be there.

Take this Jet car i took a vid off last summer...i couldn't cover my ears since i wanted to take the vid (which required me to hold the camera high up). It shook me to my core lol...i couldn't imagine what it did to younger kids

As for the topic i agree...before i ever visited a track i read a great article in Pro 5.0 magazine...they had a top 20 tips for first time track visits...listed alot of great info for new guys

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
This thread should seriously be a sticky somewhere. :yes

And +1 to bandimere's pits sucking. Ford fest was a nightmare

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
That thing about, "its a public place, we have every right to be here" really enrages me.
Ya, a lot of the less intelligent people at the track are young, but that doesnt mean all young people are inconsiderate.
Ive been About 5 times and I see what you say happening, mainly by rice....

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That thing about, "its a public place, we have every right to be here" really enrages me.
Ya, a lot of the less intelligent people at the track are young, but that doesnt mean all young people are inconsiderate.
Ive been About 5 times and I see what you say happening, mainly by rice....
You're right. It's not all young people, and you're also right that it's mostly the rice crowd. The rice crowd is mostly young people. That's not to say that all young people act like this at the track.

Another thing. If something happens to your car during a pass (blow a hose off, blow the motor, break something, ect....). Pull out of the groove, get on the brakes, and stop. The crew will get you off the track later. When you drag coolant or oil all the way down the track, in the groove, you're putting the fast guys in danger for the rest of the night because that stuff doesn't clean up. Do not stay in the groove, and do not coast it out.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
You're right. It's not all young people, and you're also right that it's mostly the rice crowd. The rice crowd is mostly young people. That's not to say that all young people act like this at the track.
Its definetly not limited to one group of people. It is just people in general. I don't go to the track here, but the "tracks"(parking lots/runway parking areas) I do go to I run into these people frequently enough.

Two examples:
On the way to an autocross event our convoy stopped to fill up on gas and one of the drivers (drove a civic SI) asked to borrow my in car phone charger. No problem, I lent it to him. We got to the event, raced blah blah blah, come end of the guys heat he just took off. He left my phone charger laying next to where he parked which was basically in BF nowhere in the paddock and made no attempt to return it to me. One of my friends found it on his way to the portapotty. Last time I lend out anything to him!

The last event of the year I lent out my tire pressure gauge to a friend (or was supposed to be anyway) before the events started with the stipulation that I get it back before my heat. Well, we both end up in the first heat... no tire pressure gauge... after his last run (I wasn't paying attention to him prior to that, I was in the zone) I see him checking tire pressures.... with someone elses gauge. Turns out he didn't know how to use my simple asgauge and borrowed someones dial gauge for the entire heat knowing full well I needed my tire gauge...

Moral of the stories: if you borrow something return it when done or if you are not using it.

I now plan to never lend out anything to other people.

My first event, I had a guy in a 1980s corvette grid up next to me (note that I was there first), get out of his car, then loudly proclaim "man I am sick of seeing these ****ing new mustangs everywhere". I ignored it, but every event he has had something to say, as if his B street prepared Z71 corvette is quick. Turns out, even on racing slicks, he is a whopping half a second faster than my bone stock GT on the stock 400 treadwear BFG KDWS all seasons. I hate to see the look on his face when next year I have adjustable shocks/struts, much better summer tires and a rear sway bar to dial out the understeer and this car actually can compete. I'm willing to bet tires alone would net me over a second on him, add in better body control and less understeer and I can see seconds difference between my time and his.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
very good read. lots of good info here!
i have been to the track four times and 3 of them was to watch. that is my best advice to anyone looking to run that never has. go to watch and you will learn alot. and when you actually do go to run, i found it best to do so on a test and tune day, not when any events are going on. things are more laid back and i found myself not worrying so much about looking like such a newb.

·
Registered
270 Posts
have never driven at our local strip, but i've been there many times...i probably wont race there for a while since they require you to have a Snell 2000 or better helment(sp?) seeing as how i drive a vert

·
D.G.
392 Posts
have never driven at our local strip, but i've been there many times...i probably wont race there for a while since they require you to have a Snell 2000 or better helment(sp?) seeing as how i drive a vert
See if the staff there will rent you one bro, at the local strip i go to they'll rent one out for like 15 bucks

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
100% Agreed! I'm glad that MIR has marked off spaces for pits and spectator parking. They also separate trailer/race car parking and street car parking. If your street car or spectator car is parked in a race car spot, you have about 5 min to move it or they will tow it at your expense.

As far as it being a public place, that is wrong. Most if not all racetracks have private ownership and mark it private property. They give you the privilege of coming onto their private property to race safely. Don't piss off the landlord.

Yes, if you feel an issue with the car, no matter what it is, even if it's just a broken shift linkage, pull over and off the track. Had a guy at Import vs Domestic World Cup Finals 2010 who threw a rod through the block at about the 330ft mark. He coasted the entire way down the track past the 1/4 mile pouring oil the whole way despite everyone waving at him to pull over. MIR banned him from their track for life for that.

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
What sucks is the two main tracks I go to do not have a place for street cars to go around the water box ...

But I recall my first time was to a 1/4 south east of dallas. I pulled in about 10 mins before the gates open w/ about 5 cars in front of me and a couple trailers, Vettes and SC maro's lol I introduced myself and told them I was new, they said "just follow us and we'll show what to do, ohh and dont be offened ( I already said im in a V6 msutang) by the group we'll have here tonight will be mostly camaro's" lol They explained things very well to me helped me all through it. Very nice Roots style blower maro's, clean as hell, and I have to brag, cause one guy said he'd line up with me, and kept betting he'd beat me and when we finally lined up, he said "ill give you a head start" So we go, and I never see him pass me the whole race ??? WTF !?! Missed a gear you say ??? Stalled out you say ??? He was an automatic I say ... :D Silly fool some how bumped it in N :D

But seriously, If its your first time, study up some, if the track has a website, please go there adn read some rules first.

Educate youself about a track first.

And when you get there, find some friendly people and get some help. Cause if you didn't notice by this thread, people dont like new guys ****ing **** up :Dq

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Oh... and don't pull your car up to the staging lanes and then decide to go use the bathroom and get something to eat. Stay with your car cause I hate getting stuck behind someone like that and can't pull forward.

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
some interesting views in this thrad for shure.

my addition is to keep the ice in your drink not on the motor in the lanes.

not only does it scream newby, it's a pain in the ass when the water drains out the bottom of the car & every one tracks it all over the place.

at our track they tell you about it once & if you keep doing it they send you home, but when we travel & have to deal with it at other tracks that don't say anything it sucks.

·
Manthusiast
2,806 Posts
This some good info, ive been once to spectate when i was 14.
I saw about 3 fights start due to mis communication and disrespect.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Another thing. If something happens to your car during a pass (blow a hose off, blow the motor, break something, ect....). Pull out of the groove, get on the brakes, and stop. The crew will get you off the track later. When you drag coolant or oil all the way down the track, in the groove, you're putting the fast guys in danger for the rest of the night because that stuff doesn't clean up. Do not stay in the groove, and do not coast it out.
This x100. I've seen experienced bracket racers (who should know better) do this. I lined up against a guy in ELIMINATIONS one night who blew off a transmission cooler line during his burnout. They didn't get him shutoff in time and he went all the way down the track billowing smoke. He had to have seen it because I could see it in my rearview mirror. He shut down the track for an hour and a half.

Regarding kids at the track, I can't wait to take my son for the first time. He'll be one on Wednesday and I already have ear protection lined up for him for when the track opens up this year. I'd planned to take him last year, but he went through a phase where anything remotely loud scared the crap out of him. He's over that now and I can't wait to get him there. I took him out a few weeks ago and we sat in my car, started it up, revved it a little and he loved it.

One thing I've found with racers is that they're normal people. There are some bad ones, but the vast majority of them will give you respect if you give it to them. Be respectful of their cars and their space (in the pits, the staging lanes and on the track) and they'll do the same. I think the biggest thing with a lot of racers and new guys is that they see a lot of kids come in with a slow car and a fart can or a fast car that daddy paid for who think they're hot **** and have no respect for anyone else.

Moral of the story: don't be an ignorant douchebag and you'll get along just fine with the vast majority of racers.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts