Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
As for the new guys just a little tip, if it's your first time to the track, don't stage with your rear tires. I have seen it many times and it is a sure way to be labeled as a newbie, rookie, etc. and guys that have been racing for awhile will pounce on you. You will suddenly see guys trying to line up against u and just be on the hunt for you. Point here is front tires are for staging. But most importantly have fun with it, let the "old heads" know you're interested and they will help you tons. You have to remember for a lot of them this is a hobby, something they're really interested in, so they have a lot of knowledge, let them help you.:rockon

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
itll be interesting for me as ive only raced my mazda6 at my home track and not used to rear wheel drive. but itll be fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If only this could be printed and handed out at the tracks!!

My pet peeves are not getting over and stopping when broken, i've done tons of carnage in the trucks, and even knowing it was a trans shaft or u joint, still stopped and got to the side just in case. Being i race bikes as well this bothers me!!!! I've sat and roasted in leathers for them to run cars ahead of me before i feel comfortable making my pass. Last year had a fox body loose a radiator hose, get loose stayed in it, crossed lanes right behind my brother on his bike and went the length of the track, watching my brother nearly get wiped down by a moron from staging sunk my stomach.

Clean the bed of your truck out/mud off trucks

People that feel the need to play staging games at test and tunes, seriously your not impressing the experienced guy thats testing his car by "playing" with him

Diesels sitting with one set of lights set trying to spool turbo's. Being a big single charger guy i came around the water box gettting mine spooled so the other guy didnt have to wait, sitting there with a big charger lit waiting for someone else destroys converters! I've had to get out of mine and wait for the other guy to stage.

You almost have to take a truck along to race the bikes or your pits spots are gone!

And as others have said ASK!!! i dont have issues giving advice to newbies as most don't!

·
He of Long Wind
2,172 Posts
What a fantastic thread. I’ve been working on my bracket car for two years and I’m in the home stretch of my build. I fully intend to be a regular weekend competitor next season (Clay City, KY – Mountain Park Dragway), but I’m decidedly nervous about being a newbie retard. I’m actually going to the track this weekend just to gather intel on procedure, etiquette, parking, etc. So, hopefully, when I roll in there next spring with my big trailer and stickered-up car, I won’t make too big of a fool of myself. I’ll take all the help and advice I can get.

·
Black Betty
3,173 Posts
Some people.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
I love this thread. It is a little nerve wracking your first time at the track, mainly because you park and see all the nice built cars and you might be in a completely stock car so you might get the feeling that you don't belong. It's not really about how fast your car is (especially on street nights, or test and tunes) but more of just people going out and doing what they like to do. My first time at the track I didn't even race for a good two hours, I just walked around and watched to see how things were done.

Also for people on their first run. If you get nervous at the tree, stop worrying about reaction times. Hell even if you're not nervous don't worry about them. I'm not saying sit there for a minute, but if you have to take 2-3 seconds.

I couldn't agree more about pulling off to the side if something breaks so you don't drag fluids all the way down the track. Last year on the last night of racing two cars dragged fluids from the 400' to the end of the 1/4 mile, one car in each lane and it was cold outside so traction sucked for the rest of the night. Oh! And if your car does unfortunately have an issue on the track, don't get all mad or sad because the crowd it either cheering or laughing. It happens at every track, every time a car breaks.

Lastly, everyone has been saying it but don't feel stupid asking people questions. The majority of racers there would rather help you than see you freak out doing something wrong.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Another thing not commonly know about staging I picked up last season (First time for me), don't double light/fully stage before the other guy even single light stages.

In other words, roll up and let the first set of bulbs light, wait for the other guy to do the same before you get into the second set of bulbs.

If you hit both first before the other guy it forces them to hurry, which would get me nervous and pissed at the same time.

Respect

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
^ +1 took me a few times till I understood that

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
Another thing not commonly know about staging I picked up last season (First time for me), don't double light/fully stage before the other guy even single light stages.

In other words, roll up and let the first set of bulbs light, wait for the other guy to do the same before you get into the second set of bulbs.

If you hit both first before the other guy it forces them to hurry, which would get me nervous and pissed at the same time.

Respect
that is a very commonly used practice (ie. double bulbing) when the track will let you get away with it.

just another reason why succesful bracket cars are n/a automatics, when someone does that to you in an auto n/a car its very easy to overcome, a stick n/a car not so much without a 2 step but if you have a blower/turbo car your generally loosing before you even stage in a senerio like that.

even if they don't double bulb you, you need to be ready for them to light their stage light instantly when they see your pre-stage light flicker.

while a novice may not like it, unless the track stricktly enforces curtosy staging (ie. 1st car turns on pre stage, 2nd car prestages & stages, 1st car stages) then you need to be ready to go as soon as you finish your burn out.

while very few tracks enforce curtosy staging, most have autostart active (ie.any 3 stage light on, the tree is coming down automatically in 7 seconds, if your not staged your disqualified & even if you are staged, you need to be ready to go) & you need to be ready for that too.

·
Registered
784 Posts
its called courtesy staging and when you start driving real drag cars at national events its required. or the starting line gentleman will just about jump on your hood and back you out. so if you show up to a larger event be ready.

another huge pet peeve of mine is people doing burn outs through the lights its only aloud in dragsters with only rear brakes and top sportsman/dragster and pro classes there is no f&^(NG point in doing a burn out through the lights with a 400hp fox body

·
Registered
87 Posts
i was at the track this last weekend and i about lost it. me and a good sized group of friends showed up at the track. theres a good amount of space off the pit towards the fence to spectate, so my buddy parked his truck in the grass and another friend had her car next to his truck. they had a grill going (didnt bring it out until we saw other people doing it) and we had 2 stalls for our two mustangs. we tried squeezing into one but it just wasnt reasonable. so we left our spare tires and jacks in the stalls when we went to race, and one time when we came back, a guy in a brand new vetter and his buddy in a 6.0 GTO parked lenthwise in the stalls and took up 4 between the two of them. so we had to park a good hundred meters away from where our friends were.

So we did, and i approached one of the guys and asked him if he could park normally and he kinda huffed and said we could have the spot back when they went to race. they took it upon themselves to move our spares down the track by some random dudes we didnt know. they also sat in the spot like that until there was about an hour left until the track closed. just hanging out by their cars with their hoods up. i dont understand why people think its alright to be a-holes like that. The GTO ended up breaking and i walked my dog by the vette once and he shook his head and launched some drool into the drivers side of the car somewhere. karma i guess?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Show some sportsmanship & may the faster car win

Unfortunately common sense is not all that common anymore, slowpoke.

Ditto for respect and courtesy. But the three kind of go hand in hand.
For me it was the opposite, 60+ yr old with angry man syndrome was talking major smack.

Walks up to me & says "I'm not running that Japanese pos"
Im laughing at this point & reply.

You scared to run my 4 door 4 cylinder turbo.

He starts with all this nonsense, telling me I have no chance.

My car is not the fastest by any means, but I don't like when people run their mouths, I don't like flappers.
He was like an old woman.

I'm running a modest stock 2.0 twin scroll turbo with a peak boost of 27psi with 386awhp/363awtq. Dynojet.
So I don't get all the smack talk. I'm in the 425-475 hp range no slouch for a 4 banger.
Wanted to run him so bad & just kept bitching.

Basically he bitches out. I tell him whatever, you don't wanna run. You scared to lose?
I'm a dd so unless you did work, his was a stock 03 cobra I've lit so many it's kinda funny.

With Just a turbo upgrade / built bottom end/ 600-700awhp all day.
So unless you got a built car, please don't talk smack.

All car enthusiast should be treated equal.
If everyone had the same car, life would be dull at the track.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to say the main things that bother me are people who have never been drag racing and take a century to stag. Second is when people with street tires do a burn out for days like its going to help their tires. It really aggrevates me herw because we race on concrete and only the left lane can do burn outs abd just because some idiot with street tires wants to do a burn out and I dont. I loose the best lane.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
I have to say the main things that bother me are people who have never been drag racing and take a century to stag. Second is when people with street tires do a burn out for days like its going to help their tires. It really aggrevates me herw because we race on concrete and only the left lane can do burn outs abd just because some idiot with street tires wants to do a burn out and I dont. I loose the best lane.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You didn't know? Street radials are best after a two minute burnout and half treadlife gone!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
One thing that's annoyed me more and more about going to the track is the John Force burnouts. Radials are one thing, street tires, nope, don't need it. Turn them over to get the crap off them and line up.

I know it's been said once or twice, but IF YOU CAN, avoid the water box w/ street tires(front tires). Trusting the guy on the lanes to clean it up 9 times out of 10 doesn't give a **** or will just make it worse.

And my biggest pet peeve(not necessarily for the newbies making a pass down the track, just a generalization of being there), and if you're one of the **** sticks that does this is swear to GOD I will hunt you down and piss in your drinks for the rest of your life. Flying up and down the staging lanes on mini bikes. The golf carts and 4 wheelers, I can understand to an extent. They need to move cars around, that's fine. Take the damn thing back to the trailer and stop going up and down the lanes making a cluster ****(if it's a horrible track you'll know what I mean) even worse by blocking people cause your cuz needs to get in(cutting in line should be a given, but if someone hasn't said it, you need some basic human being manners). Getting inches within hitting someone's car... We all know you ain't gunna stop to fix it, so do everyone a favor and keep it around your trailer area and out of staging /endrant.

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts
I'll be re-reading most of this thread since I'm making my way out there this weekend to pop my cherry! :naughty:

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I'll be re-reading most of this thread since I'm making my way out there this weekend to pop my cherry! :naughty:
Don't sweat it. Just start talking with another Stanger and ask how everything works, they will be happy to go over all the procedures with you. I know I am when someone asks me about proper track procedures/etiquette. You'll be ok and once you get a couple of runs in you will feel totally comfortable. Even I stalled out my automatic in the burn out box the last time out and heard a roar of laughter from the spectators. Then I laid down my best run of the night.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts