Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i turn my car on it shuts off almost immediately unless i rev my engine then the car will stay on as long as im revving my engine. what are some of the problems that could be causing this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unplug the IAC valve. If it stays running, but high idle, it could be a couple of things. One the IAC valve is bad, or the ECT sensor is bad confusing the computer that the vehicle is at operating temp (while the engine is cold) and it's shutting down.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
dumb awnser but il put it out there....

Theres a screw that allows you to set were the throttles body vaulve thing sits when your not on the gas...Open it up some so you dont have to put your foot on the pedal

Also check for vacum leaks and fluid leaks.. Check your fluilds...do a diagnostic....

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
dumb awnser but il put it out there....

Theres a screw that allows you to set were the throttles body vaulve thing sits when your not on the gas...Open it up some so you dont have to put your foot on the pedal

Also check for vacum leaks and fluid leaks.. Check your fluilds...do a diagnostic....
DO NOT MESS WITH THAT SCREW!!!

that will cause more issues... they are meant to not be touched at all and all the idle speed and everything is put in the tune...

sounds to me like a BIG vaccumm leak... did it just happen one day, or slowly start?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
+1 dont mess with that screw!
check your spark plugs, there was a similar problem with my buddies dodge truck. it would fire right up but die unless he held the gas pedal and his plugs were shot.
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
the only vaccum leak thatll make it do this is the one connected to the back of the plenum.. any other vaccum leak will just make your car skip.. so its not a vac leak..

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
your IAC is blocked/not opening. are you getting a CEL?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts