Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want the c-4. Need something a little more streetable for cruising.

I know that alot of chevy's have the 4 speed 4l60e and the full manual alternative to that is the 4 speed 700r4

What would be a fully manual alternative to the aod? I'm not talking about a rinky dink manual valve kit. I'm talking an actual full manual transmission (besides the c-4).

·
Registered
401 Posts
alright I have that its an AOD with fully manual valvebody go onto clickclickracing.com and talk to silverfox he makes really good valvebodies at really good prices according to how you want it... Also get your AOD built at the same time im pretty sure he can get that done for you as well you won't regret it man... Instant hard shifts with OD love it

·
Registered
401 Posts
your welcome man.. your gonna love it I love mine no clutch just shift and go

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
the only thing is that the AOD is heavy and it sucks up alot of power

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
^^^^how did that happen??????

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I don't want the c-4. Need something a little more streetable for cruising.

I know that alot of chevy's have the 4 speed 4l60e and the full manual alternative to that is the 4 speed 700r4

What would be a fully manual alternative to the aod? I'm not talking about a rinky dink manual valve kit. I'm talking an actual full manual transmission (besides the c-4).

A C4 is plenty streetable unless you have deep rear gears and do alot of highway driving. If you want overdrive, buy an AOD or put a manual transmission in it if you want to shift gears manually so bad.

The 700R4 is not the full manual alternative to the 4L60E. They are two different transmissions produced in two different time periods.

A manual valve body is not "rinky dink". The valve body controls the shifting. The only way to make an automatic fully manual is to put a "rinky dink" manual valve body in it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be doing some highway driving and maybe have some 3.73's. That's why I figured that overdrive to be a little better than the c-4.

And i would like to "shift an automatic manually". There's just something about that whiplash when you hit second and third. T-5 is cool too but been there done that. Need a change for a little while. What's cooler than banging gears with no clutch. YAAAYYYAAA!!!!!! I'll tell you though, my first mustang was auto with the stock aod and i almost wiped out a bunch of times when it likes to shift when it feels like it around corners.

RIDEBMXFBM, by the way, what would be the shift pattern that you have? Do you have control over all 4 gears or is it still like 1, D, OD?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
AODs are like any other automatic transmission. They don't shift when they feel like it. They shift based on the load and or RPM via vacuum, mechically (rods and linkages) or electronically. A C4 or any other automatic is generally going to shift at the same time as your AOD did unless you manually control the shifting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
helped put a C4 in a buddies 90 LX and then into a 95 GT
the manual valvebody allowed totally manual shifting and gear holding
the only thing it wouldnt do was first gear over a certain speed

·
Registered
401 Posts
mine is setup like this 1,2,3 and OD but OD only engages when I let off the throttle a little bit under and it never engages at full throttle or medium only under light throttle

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
helped put a C4 in a buddies 90 LX and then into a 95 GT
the manual valvebody allowed totally manual shifting and gear holding
the only thing it wouldnt do was first gear over a certain speed
That is common with manual valve bodies to not have engine braking in first gear. When you step on the gas it will accelerate though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A C4 or any other automatic is generally going to shift at the same time as your AOD did unless you manually control the shifting.
So you are telling me that a transmission with a full manual valve body will still shift by itself? I've heard that if it's a true full manual tranny, it will only shift and downshift on command, not by computer/electric, or vac...etc. Another words, if you leave it in third it will stay in third, leave it in 2nd it will stay in second etc.

Otherwise, if you are talking about a c4 that shifts by itself and on command, it would be auto/manual valve body. Correct?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
So you are telling me that a transmission with a full manual valve body will still shift by itself? I've heard that if it's a true full manual tranny, it will only shift and downshift on command, not by computer/electric, or vac...etc. Another words, if you leave it in third it will stay in third, leave it in 2nd it will stay in second etc.

Otherwise, if you are talking about a c4 that shifts by itself and on command, it would be auto/manual valve body. Correct?
No, that is not what I said at all. You made a comment about your AOD "shifting when it wants too". They don't shift when they want to. Automatic transmissions shift based on load, vacuum and or electronics. All of them do whether it is a C4, AOD, etc. Having a manual valve body is a totally different scenario. A manual valve body controls all gears manually.

·
Registered
401 Posts
mine is setup like this 1,2,3 and OD but OD only engages when I let off the throttle a little bit under and it never engages at full throttle or medium only under light throttle
NYhigh is that what you wanted? and terribleone that is the way mine is setup...

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
Aren't stock AODs like that?
My aod has nothing done to it and wont shift into OD under full throttle.

·
Registered
401 Posts
yes there all like that but I'm talking about manual valve bodies and my shifter pattern...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts