Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can i buy a 347ci bare block from?i no you all are probably thinking what a stupid question but its just most sites give a 302 and then they say what its bored to. i dont know the bore...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
30 thousandths bore over is a 347.....any 302 block can be a 347

some blocks you can order already bored if thats what you askin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i would like to order it already bored to a 347...and i dont no where....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well a 302 bored 30 thousandths is a 306......its the stroker kit that makes up most of the cubes......are u wanting to buy a stock block or a racing block

·
Registered
698 Posts
Remember in addition the block needs clearanced for the rods. You can purchase a short block 347 from several different suppliers including DSS and CHP and just add your top end and accessories

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
talk to woody, hear he's great to deal with

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i dont qwite know what tipe of block i would need.im building it to be a all motor,high compression engine.i already found the stroker kit that will run it at 10.7:1. and as far as the upper part of the engine im gunna get every thing brand new...

·
Registered
698 Posts
How much of the work are you planning on doing yourself and what type of numbers are you're looking for? If you shooting for 400hp or less na a stock bore factory block from Summit combined with a 3.4" stroked crank / rod / 4.00 piston combo will give you 342 ci. and should serve the purpose. The whole 347 thing kind of started with people taking their existing block, boring it out and putting a stroker together. Remember stroker "kits" are a fairly recent developement. 10 years ago you had to have your own crank custom made, fit up a mismatch of chevy, ford and mopar parts and make your own stroker. Today you can start with a virgin standard bore (4.00) block, standard bore 4.00 (different compression height) pistons and when the time comes to freshen things up, you just buy over size bore pistons, have a clean up bore done to the block, fresh bearings and your good to go. If you start out with a .030 overbore on your block to get the mystical 347 , when its time for a rebuild, you have to get a new block (because the maximum recomended bore on a stock block is .030). That's why my current engine is a 327 and not a 331

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for all your help man i really apriciate it...

·
Registered
971 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts