Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have an 86 that was fuel injected and now carb. I'm putting a Holley Blue external electric fuel pump on it. I need to mount it as close to the tank as possible, where is the best place to put it? Or would it be alright mounted in the engine compartment?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
No, not in the engine compartment. The pumps are efficient at pushing, not pulling. I mounted mine directly to the plastic on the outside of the tank with two machine screws. Another good place to mount the pump is near the fuel filter by the rear axle. Just make sure you leave enough room for the axle to move up and down. Here's a pic of where mine are mounted. Check out my cardboard spoiler.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is where I have my fuel pump (it is now a Holley Blue but mounted in same place as my crap Carter inline) Filter is a Fram inline with a mounting bracket, from Walmart of all places

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I still have the factory high pressure pump in the tank. Will it create too much of a restriction so the holley pump cant suck fuel through it? I had the car running with a mechanical pump and it pulled fuel through it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You need to remove the factory pump and add a pick up tube (easy to do but you have to remove the tank from the car). Holley blues really should be mounted in a fashion that allows fuel to gravity feed to the inlet of the pump. It will work mounted higher up but the pump will fail prematurely

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Also I still have the factory high pressure pump in the tank. Will it create too much of a restriction so the holley pump cant suck fuel through it? I had the car running with a mechanical pump and it pulled fuel through it.

The intank pump will limit the flow to the intank pumps maximum and cause cavitation in the external pump and premature failure. This is not a good setup. you either need to remove the intank pump and replace with a piece of fuel hose, or...

Just skip the holley blue, get a 255 in tank pump and a return style regulator. That should be good for 500-600 hp.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intank pump will limit the flow to the intank pumps maximum and cause cavitation in the external pump and premature failure. This is not a good setup. you either need to remove the intank pump and replace with a piece of fuel hose, or...

Just skip the holley blue, get a 255 in tank pump and a return style regulator. That should be good for 500-600 hp.
The thing is I already got a holley blue pump and holley regulator.

How can I mod the fuel pickup tube to work?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The thing is I already got a holley blue pump and holley regulator.

How can I mod the fuel pickup tube to work?
Take the pickup out of the tank. Take the pump off the pickup. Attach a piece of 3/8" fuel hose to the pickup in place of the pump with a worm clamp. Put a brass T at the bottom of the tube where the pump sock used to be.

Pretty easy, but you have to drop the tank.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Drop the tank and pull the top with the fuel line stubs. The pump is fastened to the bottom of the pick up tube. Remove the pump, insert a piece of tubing to the same depth as the pump was and use a worm gear clamp to hold the tube to the bracket the pump was held in with.

·
Registered
753 Posts
u need a intank pump...but if u want to run holley pump .u need to weld a pickup on the rear of your tank or get a fuel cell ..mount pump on front side of your tank..that is the safest place to mount in case someone rear ends u

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O if you guys didn't know I have a carb 302 not fuel injection.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I made this figure awhile ago...:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I removed the fuel pump and put line in there. The fuel pump that was in there was a walbrol or something like that, I believe that is an high volume pump right?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Walbro makes OEM and aftermarket pumps for alot of different applications. Original Ford I took out and the BBK that I put back in.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Nothing does a car hunger strike for fuel like an Aeromotive pump

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I removed the fuel pump and put line in there. The fuel pump that was in there was a walbrol or something like that, I believe that is an high volume pump right?
walboro makes all the in tank pumps including the ones for ford.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got it all mounted and wired up to a relay. I have it regulated at 6.5psi and it runs great. The fuel pump is kinda loud. It now is getting plenty of fuel at the top end and isn't cutting out.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
sweet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts