Modded Mustang Forums banner

Where do i start?

594 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  teal89 
#1 ·
I have a 1986 Vert. It has 4:30 gears, bad paint, no tail pipes to 40 series flowmasters, stock motor, and a descent interior needs carpet and driver seat is torn. I want to go fast, but not take it to the strip or around a track. I have a small to medium budget. This is my first car to work on and I don't know where to start. I was going to trade it away or sell it, but no one will buy it, and I am sort of attached to it, i'm not sure which is my driving factor.

So..I am taking all opinions on where to begin on this thing. Thank you in advance for your input. I look forward to learning from you all. Except txbkr. He's a nerd and shouldn't be listened to. Also, I work with him.:eek:

#5 ·
I would say my budget is b/wn 200-500 a month. It depends on what my wife doesn't spend, and my son doesn't eat :) Thanks for the help.

txbkr...posing as a Texan I see. Wannabe!

#6 · (Edited)
LOL Txbkr you almost got the words from me man LOL I thought you were being serious... Anyways stangomikes... your name keep making me register(Chick-o-Sticks) LOLOL YOu know those yellow candies from waay back in the day. Anyways If you want to add a little umph on your small - medium budget...Imma say your small to medium budget is $6,000 - $12,000.. oh waitshot I bet you mean something more maybe no more than a grand right? ok...

Sub-Frame connectors (Bolt On) - They work great! $50-$75.00
8 or 10 point Roll Cage (Sorry, you have a vert so extra safety is keen to me) - $250.00
Comp Cam in the 276 - 284 duration and 480 lift range $299.99
BBK Shorties - $179.99 - Chrome and you can spend an extra 8 bucks to get high heat ceramic coating for them.
Magnaflow Round muffler - $150.00 pair
Custom make your own lengthened H pipe - $10.00
TPS Enhancer - $89.99 - Boost throttle response so you get a more instant rev than the laggy rev
Bushings for your suspension
Roll bar bushings(Hey, if you plan to go fast, at least let your car stick to the road)
Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers
Op in and get some lowering springs too. Imma let the other guys tell you on that. I use adjustable coilovers, everyone else seems to like the regular stuck with what you get springs ;-)

New Autolite or NGK Plugs
New Cap and Rotor
New Spark Plugs from a non store brand like(Mallory, Taylor, or everyone's favortire MSD). Make sure it's the pre made kind not the do it yourself.
MSD Blaster Coil

All for $96.00 - $119.00 bucks.

Advance the timing ever so slightly
Take your fuel pressure up by 3-4psi
Replace your fuel filter with a more high flow filter, not a stock replacement

You're not going to be all blurry when you punch the throttle but for damn sure, you will feel a big ass difference. Honestly, You see I mentioned more safety like things than speed stuff. YOu have a verty and I'd be damned if I don't recommend the roll cage and sub frame connectors and bushings.

#7 ·
Consider that printed and on the refrigerator for future use. Thanks for the info, that is excellent!

Is 250 for a roll cage installed? Or do I need to get my Cuban friend txbkr to weld in for me? :)

#10 ·
Consider that printed and on the refrigerator for future use. Thanks for the info, that is excellent!

Is 250 for a roll cage installed? Or do I need to get my Cuban friend txbkr to weld in for me? :)
It's $250.00 to buy the part. You can get your Cuban friend to weld it in. I also said it was bolt on too so if you want, you can bolt it on, then later on have someone weld it in but you have a choice.

#11 ·
I had a few too many last night. That's an important lesson for all of you kids out there. Don't drink and forum...you never know what you might say. And then you wake up the next day, and feel like an idiot. Like me. Right now......<--idiot.

Looks like I'll be bolting it in.

#12 ·
Naaa, you're no idiot dude, it's called relaxing from work and not worrying about nothing but yourself for a change. Yeah trust me dude, if anything, please get the roll cage OR the subframe connectors. When you get ready to go fast, you will at least be secured from a roll over. But to finally answer your question for speed, here's a long story short, cheap priced build with quality parts....

351W - Craigslist if you have too
Comp Thumper Cam in the 286 duration and 512" lift
70mm Throttle Body
Comp Upper Intake
MAF Sensor to handle the extra air so the computer won't be complaining about air/fuel ratios
Electric Fans - Remove the drag from your engine so you will have quicker rpms

Fidanza Driveshaft - You have 4.30 gears, at least get a driveshaft to handle the torque because sooner or later you can kiss your stock driveshaft to the earth, or your rear end will kiss it for you... back to speed.

(If your car is not an Auto) - Couldn't remember if you said it was or not
Centerforce I or II -or- King Cobra Clutch
Cable and quadrant
Superchip or HyperTech Performance Chip
Cold-Air Intake

There's a start for now.. oh yeah if you can squeeze it, you can get some Keith Black Forged Pistons OR take the ones you have out, a ZMAX them at 190*F for about 15 minutes then shake dry and replace them with new Moly rings.

Comp or Lunati Roller lifters - Mind as well if you are getting a cam. Try not to be too cheap on the cam price because quality over what you "Settle" for makes a big difference on cams. I personally like the comp Thumper cams. I used to have a lunati cam but hell, besides the massive lope, it didn't make hardly any difference in power

If you can, try to get your heads ported a lot on the exhaust side and slightly on the intake side. Why? Because if you port to much on the intake side, you will be at a street light loading up with fuel.

I just thought of this... Get a good strut brace for your car too. Helps keep the front from twisting when you start planting good power to the ground. I'm only 250hp but I have those myself... hell I also live in an area that is not nice to any cars too LOL

#14 ·
No problem txbkr... is that "Texas Baker". Are yu a chef too? LOL

Hey chickosticks and txbkr, I run a car club and would love to see your rides. Smack an email over if you like to be a member(free) and smack over an email of your rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.