Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a set of cams next week in my 2008 GT. Where did you guys buys your tools? from Ford?
Or did anybody rent the tools. If so where did you rent them from?
I searched and cant seem to find anything on the purchase or rental.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't know if they have them there, but a great place to buy tools for the one time "do it your self-er" is Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
You're not going to find those tools at a regular auto parts store. Try Rotunda Tools, or I think Frredom Racing has a cheaper one that looks a bit more useful.

Doing my cam swap a couple of months ago I think I could have done it without the tools. A folded over piece of hose, like from a washing machine or something, jammed between the timing chain should work. $100+ for the little piece of plastic on a wire is a bit steep. Look at what that tool actually does and I'm sure you can find an alternate method.

As far as the removing the keepers. I didn't remove one of the three on one side and just tightened down the journals evenly and slowly and everything seemed to work fine. I think if I left all 3 in I could have done it the same way.

I've heard about many people that have done the install without them, but unless you feel totally confident, I would get the tools.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The valve spring compressor tool comes up for sale on Ebay occasionally. I picked up one used for $60, it's worth checking into. There is a guy on this forum that sells the timing chain wedge for about half the price.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the compressor and not the wedge.
Thanks 07 Boss for the helpful information. I would tru it without the compressor but I have never done this type of cam swap before and do not want to mess it up.lol
My good friend has an auto repair shop (in another state) and I talked to him and he said you dont need the wedge as you can just make one.
Thanks again
Jack

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
this is true about the wedge. heard of a few people just saving the money and making one. just get a block of plastic and the dimensions. cut it and add a metal rod that has threads & you're in buisness for probably less than 15 bucks

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
And if it's a simple cam swap, you can have someone just hold the chain for the 5 miniutes it takes to actually swap the cam. All you want to do is make sure the chain doesn't move on the crank sprocket down below.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i've heard a few stories about that. a few of them didn't do their job good enough also. i didn't have to worry about that since i had the heads off when i did mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts