Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some of those chinese, clear blinkers to go on my 94 GT. Those things on the front that go right next to the headlamps, to be clear. I knew all about their reputation when I bought 'em, and I've owned 'em before. But I took a couple steps to improve on them before I installed them. Such as going all around the edges with my own clear silicon to keep them from leaking. So now, even a year later, they still look great.

Except for the rubber seals. Which never even fit right, but at least they were cheap. And they were all I could come up with since it seems nobody actually sells a quality set of blinkers housings yet. The rubber seals on the tops of the clear blinkers are starting to rot off. As was expected. But now I'm going to have to deal with it. The blinkers themselves still seem fine, its just those black rubber seals that run down along the fender where it meets the blinkers.

Is there any way at all to get some kind of better seals for those things? Is there somewhere just to get the rubber? And have it be rubber that's actually worth owning. Gotta do something. Not a whole lot of companies that carry these blinkers yet, that are of a decent quality. I'd even be willing to make my own, if necessary. As long as in the end, it would fit and would hold up to the test of time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Didn't think I'd get a whole lot of replies since a real solution probably doesn't exist. Other than just buying new chinese blinkers and letting those seals finally rot off.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Just pull the seals off. I bought the same thing over a year ago just for a quick fix when I broke one of mine. I finally replaced them with new factory look-a-likes and I pulled that rubber seal off them. Look better without.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I... don't really fell comfortable doing that. I guess maybe I could always buy a brand new OEM set and just scavenge the new seals off of them.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I... don't really fell comfortable doing that. I guess maybe I could always buy a brand new OEM set and just scavenge the new seals off of them.
That's totally up to you. I just don't like how that seal sticks out against my silver car. And it doesn't really do anything important, I think aftermarket just puts them there to make up for the poor fitment of their product.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too have a silver 94 GT. Opal frost I believe? Do you have any close pics of the way your blinkers look with no seals?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I too have a silver 94 GT. Opal frost I believe? Do you have any close pics of the way your blinkers look with no seals?
Yea it's Opal Frost I love this color on Mustangs. I have a pic I took after I replaced the headlights here it is

I thought about it and maybe that rubber piece is there for aerodynamics? That's kind of splitting hairs though and I don't think water getting back there would cause any trouble.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah opal frost is a cool color. Only problem is, as it gets to be older than 10 years, it starts to look a lot more just... grey than silver. As such, I'm currently trying to decide on a color to paint mine. I'm thinking of going with white because its really not TOO far off from the greyish silver of the opal frost.

But yeah water getting in there was my concern. Not having that seal kind of makes its look like your blinker is sort of... I don't know.. bulging out a little? Hard to tell. Why did you get rid of your seals? Did they too begin to rot off?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
There's got to be some kind of windshield molding or other kind of molding that would work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I'm thinking. But where do you go to just browse all manner of stripping? I guess the auto parts store but I have my doubts. They usually just carry hoses when it comes to stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Maybe U Pull It. You could probably find some kind of door or window molding that would work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts