Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am posting with the simple question of how did you learn about engines this much? Everyone seems to know all these words I dont, they can install their own mods, rebuild engines....how do you know all this? Do you have to go to school for it? Are you all mechanics? Because I really wanna learn about this stuff so that I can modify cars like you all in the future with the same level of understanding and skill. Or do you just buy the parts and give it to a shop technician to build? Haha thanks :confused:

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
stick around MM, read all the threads you can, then after you do a bunch of reading, do more reading, then start asking questions if you have any. also, spend time at the track, take **** apart, put it back together, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I started when I was about 5 ...I was the flashlight holder for my dad, lol. I was pretty lucky to have a mechanically inclined family and I learned from them - my brother in law also turned wrenches and works as an airplane mechanic. Reading will only get you so far imo ...need hands on experience to get the full effect.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha my family is kit mechanically inclined in the least, and live like an hour and a half from the nearest drag strip (englishtown nj raceway park) so my dad isn't interested in driving me there lol. I guess reading is the way to go but I still have trouble understanding even that....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get a small block ford book, and a gasket kit... take your motor apart, replace all the seals and learn all the basic **** first... the rest will come later... sometimes you gotta throw yourself into the fire

·
Registered
241 Posts
trial and error and error and error. I started out w/ a passion for motorized vehicles and started working on dirtbikes and lawnmowers. Tried to fix **** that is broke. Than I got a car and same thing. If you have tools, try to fix everything yourself. Listen to the problem, feel the problem, diagnose the problem. And after a few hundred in parts and it's still broke, ask someone who knows!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I agree with BWAL read a lot, read in here a lot, talk and ask questions to people. Thats why I came here I had a problem with my car and didnt know what it was so I posted and got the answer, then I asked how to fix it and got the answer, then I went and fixed it. I too have been working on cars and bikes since I was very young, if I messed it up my dad helped me fix it, if you dont have a mechanically inclined person in your fam, try it yourself, you may be suprised, if not there is always a mechanic you can take it to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts