Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since my 2002 GT lost the engine and I cant really afford to replace it right now, I'm looking into getting a fox body with the 2.3 in it. there are two that I am looking at right now, one is a 93 hatch with single plug heads, and the other is a 92 vert with 8 plug heads. the verts body is in a bit better shape, but Im have always liked the hatch body styles better... so now I'm wondering about the motors. I know the 8 plug was designed for better emissions and better burning of the fuel charge, but is it really noticeable over the standard 4 plug? The vert is listed at 1100, and the hatch is at 800.

My goal right now is maybe a header and a cam. possibly if I can find a head somewhere I might think about getting it shaved and run that with a stage 1 cam... But I really dont plan on tearing to much into the thing. It is going to be used as a commuter car, since I drive 98 miles one way to work...

I plan on getting one of these next Saturday... any advise?

·
Registered
188 Posts
IMO the Hatch back has a better body. 2.3 N/a with a dual plug has a little more horsepower (i think maybe 15 or so more?). Honestly I'd go with the hatchback. The N/A 2.3's are so low in horsepower that it wouldnt make much of a difference between a single or dual plug head (its still slow either way).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That 93 with a 4 plug has had an engine change. from 91 to 93 should have all had the 8 plug head. Or its not a 93.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
As an owner of a converitble, I would have to say, go with the solid roof hands down, The convertibles have a dreadful chassis and unless you have an extensive workshop full of tools, it is hard to overcome the faults of the rag top chassis.

·
Registered
660 Posts
As an owner of a converitble, I would have to say, go with the solid roof hands down, The convertibles have a dreadful chassis and unless you have an extensive workshop full of tools, it is hard to overcome the faults of the rag top chassis.
i agrre with the assesment of the hatch having the more sound (and lighter) structure than a ragtop...

but all the rag's faults fade away when you lower the roof :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That 93 with a 4 plug has had an engine change. from 91 to 93 should have all had the 8 plug head. Or its not a 93.
ok. maybe I just didnt catch it when talking to the seller... but definatly something for me to look into. he also says it only has 88000 on it... Im wondering if the odometer might have flipped and it really is 188000...

Regardless, how long do these things normally last before you have to rebuild them? I looked through 91verts builld thread and got quite motivated... But this will be my Daily driver for a while... but then it looks pretty simple to work on... my only issue will be yanking it out of the engine bay. probably will be building an A frame with a winch on top if it needs it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They will last a long time if taken care of, but they do get really weak at 100k miles if noone put time and love into them.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, next question... can I pull off the oil-pan with out dropping a K member like I have to on my 02? reason I ask is I'm wondering if it would be feasible to re-ring the thing if the cylinders aren't worn to the point of needing bored out with out pulling the block out... drop oil-pan, unbolt rod caps, remove head, push rods up and remove pistons to either replace or re ring... I have a spring hone that i can use to deglaze if needed... so, is this even feasible?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i have been burning up google lately trying to learn, but keep finding everything except what i want to find....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The cylinder bores hold up well in these engines and the piston rings used in 90’ and later models were a low tension design, so bore wear is usually not an issue. The weak link in the N/A models seems to be in the piston skirts, which actually bend inwards causing an oval piston shape and some clattering noises (knocking) which is more prevalent during a cold engine start. This is highly dependant on mileage, year and the owner maintenance of the car.

You can’t drop the oil pan straight down on these cars, but if you jack the engine high enough, you might be able to wedge the pan out from under the K member

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I just found a screaming deal on a 86 vert. body is straight and smooth, new top in the trunk waiting to be put on, auto (bunned about this.. wanted a manual) good running motor. for 500. 90000 on the clock, and hasnt been flipped.

and its a v6... Hmm... was totally planning on getting a rebuilt head and shaving it with a Stage 1 cam in it for the 2.3, but I guess that isnt going to happen...

With the condition it is in, for the price I just cant pass it up. that and its a 4 eye, which I really want. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts