Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the thing - i know what kind of wheels i want, but there are so many different 5 lug conversions that i don't know which one i need.. here's what i'm looking for - maybe somebody can tell me which setup would suit me..

first off, here's the wheels i want for daily driving:
94-04 WHEEL, BULLITT, WHITE, 5 LUG, 17X9 ALL

and here's the wheels i want for the strip:
(rear) WHEEL, DRAGLITE, 15x10", 5 LUG ALL
(front) WHEEL, DRAGLITE, 15x3.5", 5 LUG ALL

i will keep the rear drums for a while, but i want a setup that will allow me to change to disc brakes down the road

i want 31 spline axles

i want to lower my car up to 1.75" all around

i don't want to minitub the car or roll the fenders

those are pretty much my goals.. does that sound realistic, or is that too much to ask for? can anybody point me in the direction of a 5 lug conversion setup that would suit me? about what size tire could i run for daily driving or at the strip without worrying about scraping?

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention it's a '92 LX

·
Registered
193 Posts
buy a 31 spline traclok (cobra w/carbon fiber clutches is fairly cheap) along with moser axles. then buy a 5 lug conversion kit from somewhere like 50resto (latemodelrestoration) for like 400 bucks. you won't use the axles but prolly cheaper than piecing it out.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
which 5 lug conversion kit though? they have like 5 different ones

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bwal sorry but those White bullits=:gay
those wheels are sweeeeeeet. you must be blind. :D

well if you want to keep the drum brakes, buy the kit that keeps the drums. I think all you'll need is their basic 5 lug conversion kit that runs around 400 IIRC
is this the one i need?

87-93 CONVERSION KIT, 5 LUG, WITH 31 SPLINE AXLES MUSTANG

will i be able to use those bullitts and those draglites along with possibly lowering my car 1.75"?

and will i be able to convert to rear disc brakes in the future with that kit? by the way thanks for the help..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I got a better idea use a explore posi unit they are cheap and 31 spline as for the front i will find the site and post it it uses lincon mark rotros for the front

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For the front 87-93 v8 cars, use the rotors from a mid 80's Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VII (85-91), or '84-'86 SVO. Here is the website great info on dics conversion and 5 lug keep in mind if you change the back to disc you have to change the master cylinder and porportining valve 79-93 5 Lug Ford Fox Body Mustang Conversions

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
I will be tackling this issue when i get back this fall, Keep in touch with what you do beewall

·
Registered
193 Posts
maybe best bet is just buying the 5 lug conversion kit for the front. then get some strong 31 spline axles and a 31 spline traclok. then you'll just have to buy some 5 lug drums, which can't cost that much.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe best bet is just buying the 5 lug conversion kit for the front. then get some strong 31 spline axles and a 31 spline traclok. then you'll just have to buy some 5 lug drums, which can't cost that much.
is it really that easy? will i get all the results i wanted with that? cause if that's all it involves, then i'd do that for sure.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got a better idea use a explore posi unit they are cheap and 31 spline as for the front i will find the site and post it it uses lincon mark rotros for the front
I've got a set of Mark VII rotors and 73mm calipers that I'm not going to use, PM me if you're interested.

5lug drums off a ranger will work i belive
:yes:yes:yes:yes:yes

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any year ranger?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
To keep the stock rear wheel offset and drums, the '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II Left (driver) side axle (29-5/32") from a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 with the 7.5" rear end, or '86-'97 Aerostar RIGHT side axles (29-5/32") is what you want. They are the same rear axles, the center section is just on the opposite side when you compare the rear ends. The pumpkins are also off center unlike the Mustangs, so you will have to find two vehicles to pull axles from! You will need the drums from either of these vehicles also if you are staying with rear 9" drums. The 7.5 axle Rangers & Aerostars use 9" drums. These parts are direct 5 lug replacements for the stock 9" rear drums on the 79-93 Mustangs.
*Important: Don't get the axles and drums from a Ranger with the 4.0L engine, as they use 10" rear drums with a wider 8.8" axle (unless you want to convert to larger drums!). The 8.8 in the Explorer is 1" wider per side than the Ranger/Aerostars with the 7.5" axle.​
Most of the larger mail order companies have kits that you can purchase, although they are overpriced! The front conversion using the SVO/Lincoln parts running $180-199 for the front 11" rotors (which you can buy for about $40-60 each) and the rear axles and drums for $180-199 (less than $50 from a Ranger or Aerostar). If you are upgrading just the rear to 5 lug drums, you will not need to modify the PV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts