Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to choose between the SPR stage II cams or the Thumpr cams... Im trying to get the most exteme sound from the cams as possible. They're both good cams and make power but i was just wondering what everyones opinion was on the cams. Another option there is was the Hot Rod cams but i was kinda leaning away from them.
Any advice?

Btw Mickey if you see this, don't kill me. :)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thumprs are NSR but they require phaser limiters and have a rougher idle than the SPR's which require springs, retainers, and phaser limiters. They both seem to add similar power, but I've heard that the Thumprs lose considerably more low end.

So it's like this: more expensive cam with more low end, milder idle, and comparable power gains vs less expensive cam with rougher idle, comparable power gains, and less low end.

I hope others who are far more experienced with 3v cams than me chime in, because there are a lot of things I don't know myself.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
trey, last you heard my car idling with the spr's, my idle was set to 1000, it is now set at 850 and there is no comparison in sound...sounds rediculous now...thumprs are for queers, yea, i said it

go spr or ill cut ur nuts off...btw, you cannot still have a girlfriend when we take my car to vegas

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Im trying to choose between the SPR stage II cams or the Thumpr cams... Im trying to get the most exteme sound from the cams as possible. They're both good cams and make power but i was just wondering what everyones opinion was on the cams. Another option there is was the Hot Rod cams but i was kinda leaning away from them.
Any advice?

Btw Mickey if you see this, don't kill me. :)

Mother Thumpers; and a set of binoculars to try and read the lic plate of the car that just beat you and your 'pseudo-lopey' cams.

OR... get SPR stage II's

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me and Mickey put his SPR cams in. And ive done the research on them both as far as power, and im not so much worried about the numbers because even though they do put up different numbers, they dont differ enough in my opinion to bother worrying about it. I was just wondering if anyone had heard both or all three and how each one sounded. Also any info anyone had on them i could use because i want to know the ins and out of both of them before i make my decision. So anything anyone has to say about this subject would be great.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Trey, arent you going the blower route down the road? Thumprs will kill that option

You know what they say, if you dont do it right the first time, its going to cost you three times as much (including downtime on the car)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Trey, arent you going the blower route down the road? Thumprs will kill that option

You know what they say, if you dont do it right the first time, its going to cost you three times as much (including downtime on the car)
+1

dammit Mickey i hate you
:lol

Here's idle videos of all three:

SPR cams

Thumpr cams

FRPP Hot Rod cams

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok ok ok ok ok jeez SPR ****ers
what should i do for my exhaust!?!?!
and fine mickey, if i have to...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm a big fan of the SPR stage 2 cams but if you just want a nasty sounding cam then the Mutha-Thumper sounds more agressive at an idle IMO but on acceleration the SPR stage 2 cams sound like all hell is breaking loose, especially with an o/r pipe. Personally I wouldn't sacrifice the power for the sound, get the SPRs !

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I would never get cams just for the sound. Cams are supposed to be a performance mod, the sound is a by-product of the cams.

When are you guys comin' to Vegas? PM me and let me know when you do, I want to check your car out Mickey.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I would never get cams just for the sound. Cams are supposed to be a performance mod, the sound is a by-product of the cams.

When are you guys comin' to Vegas? PM me and let me know when you do, I want to check your car out Mickey.
early january, will you be in town?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts