Discussion Starter #1
A 99/04 GT

A 05/07 GT

i need help cause my car is fixing to Bye bye cause it has 188k miles :(

so i need advice please

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
New Edge. I'm not a fan of the S197 interior at all.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I've had one of each. The S197 is a lot more solid, better built and much heavier. If you're not looking for a light body to make a hot rod out of the S197 is a much better car in my opinion....... no creaks, rattles or wind noise. On the other hand the New Edge is much lighter, cheaper and easier to hot rod. I love them both, but they are distinctly different.

·
Registered
99 Posts
05/07 GT. I'd choose one because it's newer and I've never owned one. Plus, the engine has more power to begin with.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
05/07 GT. I'd choose one because it's newer and I've never owned one. Plus, the engine has more power to begin with.
45 hp more, and almost 500 lbs heavier. The higher hp is cancelled by the higher weight. Still, the S197 is a nicer built car and more solid. DD street car = S197....... better track car = New Edge.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've had one of each. The S197 is a lot more solid, better built and much heavier. If you're not looking for a light body to make a hot rod out of the S197 is a much better car in my opinion....... no creaks, rattles or wind noise. On the other hand the New Edge is much lighter, cheaper and easier to hot rod. I love them both, but they are distinctly different.
Bingo. My pops has a S197 and I've got a new edge. Mine has most of the bolt ons, his mostly stock. He isn't the kind to modify if it requires more than a screwdriver, but that's a different story :screwy:

Since July he's taken my car out more than his - it accelerates, brakes, etc. better, and is louder.

His however, is a quiet cruiser that handles pretty good for a stock car on crap tires, but will still get a move on.

·
'sup homies
24 Posts
Speaking as a New Edge owner, S197. Much more comfortable interior. Everything bulloch27 has said is dead-on. The NE is a crude, rough and tumble ride, which you would have to expect seeing as the basics of the platform are from 1979. If I could have afforded an S197 I would have bought one.

·
Registered
484 Posts
New edges are filthy sluts and s197's are more of a classy lady. Its whatever you think you would have more fun with.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
lol you cant post this in the 99-04 section to get an unbiased answer :lol

i LOVE the look and the sound of the NE 2vs. the only thing the s197s have over the NE is: quieter DD, cleaner engine bay, and more room in the interior.

I for one, dont like the big interior. I prefer the smaller car, IMO it feels more sporty.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
I hate to say this, but S197>NE. Stock for stock, S197 is faster. The interior is quieter and a lot more comfortable (esp if you have a lady who isn't into cars as much as you are), there is a lot more of an aftermarket support for the S197 than the NE, and last but not least 3V>2V any day in my book. Hell you could pick up an 07-09 with an extended warranty from Ford, that's not happening with a NE. NE do look better and sound better IMO. As a DD, I would pick the S197. As a weekend/secondary/project, I would say NE all day

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
like everyone said, a s197 is a much better ride, but not my cup of tea in terms of styling. A big question for me tho is what kind of 99-04 are you thinking of? if you can afford a s197, then you can afford a 03/04 mach 1 or cobra. if i had the choice between a mach or cobra vs a s197 it would always be the new edge.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
like everyone said, a s197 is a much better ride, but not my cup of tea in terms of styling. A big question for me tho is what kind of 99-04 are you thinking of? if you can afford a s197, then you can afford a 03/04 mach 1 or cobra. if i had the choice between a mach or cobra vs a s197 it would always be the new edge.
A Mach 1 maybe, but for the 18-25k he would spend on a decent termi, he could pick up a mint S197, still under warranty and with under 30k miles.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts