Discussion Starter #1
A 03/04 GT

A 05/07 GT

i need help cause my car is fixing to Bye bye cause it has 188k miles :(

so i need advice please

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Seems tried and true..... Either way it comes down to do you want modding $$$ or do you want car payment money??

And if 03/04 GT you might as well explore 99-04 GT/Cobra options depending on budget

·
Registered
108 Posts
personally, I really enjoy the S197 style overall much. that's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
i would go with the s197 its a 3v and i think you will be happy with the proformace untill you have time for upgrades....... but if you like the new edge look and it might be a little cheeper on insurance

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
3v all the way man. Much better chassis and overall car than the NE. And what? 90 more horsies out the gate...

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
I'd say it all comes down to which you are comfiest in. I've driven my sisters 06 plenty of times and like how it rides and all but it feels a little bulky to me. I love how it feels in my 03 but there is no where near as much leg room for passengers in the back seat. I always hear the S197 have a better chassis but personally driving them I find them to have quite a bit of body roll and just feel kind of heavy. Then again i'm use to my Roush suspension so that is probably why. I don't know how a stock 99-04 GT handles. I wouldn't look so much into the performance aspect of the cars though considering the price difference the older GT can be matched in power with the money saved. I'd say go drive both and whichever you find comfiest and that fits you well would be the one to get.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Recently went from a 2002 GT vert to a 2007 coupe. Best decision I ever made. Comfort, performance, refinement... all much improved over the New Edge.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Only reason i wish i woulda chose 197 is for the updated interior

- Sent from the cellular
So you enjoy piss poor suspension geometry that makes most performance driving expensive??? More power to you! :swordfight:

No contest here, the 05-07's are newer, with better suspension, with much much much MUCH better suspension, with a much nicer interior and to make things even better, more powerful, and will most likely have more options for lower mileage cars.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
And being that you are planning on financing, banks don't like to
Loan on cars that are too old. Newer cars are easier to get financed. I've got tons of credit and the bank had issues loaning my $13k for a '97 with less than 40k miles, but had no issue with $18k for a 2007 with 87k miles. Go figure.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
GO THROUGH A CREDIT UNION!!!

they are much easier to finance through and give lower intrest rates. instead of a shitty 15-20% that you would get with a dealer or a bank the credit union will probably do 8% if not lower.

Go to a credit union, get preapproved so YOU know how much you can afford THEN go to the dealer and get the final price within that range. tell them your looking at out the door price and not payments. It works so much easier that way. if they say well we can do it all here tell them to **** off. if they tell you they can get you a better intrest rate tell them to **** off. they WILL shotgun your credit to a bunch of different places and it will drop your score making your rate go up. being a first time buyer it will hurt your credit when they do it. i went through the same thing. you probably wont buy the first car you look at either but if you go and let them pull your credit and run numbers its going to be that much harder when you go to buy.

i hope you listen to this advice. I learned the hard way. its much easier to get a loan set up and know what you have to spend ahead of time and then decide if you like the car. If you go in and they say well lets talk payments, if we can pull your credit and talk to our banks then we know what we can do you are going to either walk out with a car and a high intrest rate or disappointed with a lower credit score.

and to answer your initial question 05+ without a doubt. the newer the better.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'll have to remember that advice for sure jbenevides89. That's one of thos common sense things you'd think people think about but don't, which includes me lol. I'm new to mustangs but I'd definitely say 05+ due to the style. Some of the older ones look nice depending on the previous owner, like blue69coupe. Good luck with the decision.

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
Seein as I own both, I can comfortably say s197 all the way. Oh and x2 on the credit union. Only down side I can see to the 05-07 is the fuel filling problems.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
credit union for sure! i dont have great credit and got a 5.1 rate

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
If you are looking at GT's only I would probably go for a 05-07. If you are willing to look at Mach 1's and Cobra's I would go 04.

Most people are saying that there is more power and better suspension and what not out of a 05-07 (which is true)BUT with the money you saved you could blow the 05-07 suspension out of the water on a New Edge if you like that design more.

All depends on your budget and your taste.

Look into Machs and Cobras (03/04). 4v>3v

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
I use Safe Federal Credit Union. there are a bunch of different credit unions out there. go talk to a local one and see what they can do for you. I just got a brand new nissan rogue for my wife. financed 11k for 1.9%. i talked to them before i bought they said i was good up to 35k without even pulling my credit. I have a loan with them for my car too that i had for a couple years so they already had my info and history of payments. my car is at 3.9% and i got that with a 650 credit score and no real credit file.

being a new buyer, you dont have substancial credit. It may be good and it may be bad but either way it wont be a thick file so even with a 750 banks will be hesitant to deal with you. I had 12k in a savings account with usaa and wanted to finance 10 for my car and they wouldnt even touch me because i didnt have any credit history even though my score was good. after a few dealers it dropped to low 600 ish and i had to wait for it to go back to 650 to get a good rate through Safe FCU.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts