Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my clutch has been really heavy for a while now and it had been getting worse then tonight I was out with my brother and when I was pulling a parking spot and pushed in the clutch I heard a loud snap / pop and the car went back into gear and staled. I'm just about positive my clutch cable broke but I haven't been under the car to check.

So my question is what clutch cable should I get? I'm looking and want to get a adjustable cable but I'm unsure of what I need, just the adjustable cable or the cable and quadrant or the cable, quadrant and fire wall adjuster?

Please help, time is of the essence. I need to order one ASAP the car is my daily driver.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
just get the adjustable cable and firewall adjuster......i just installed those two on my car and like em....i got the steeda ones....i have the quadrant too but havent installed it yet because it looks like its gona be a pain

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
37 Posts
go with steeda ive had them all. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but you might have a pressure plate that is about to go out. I had a similar problem with my car when I bought it. THe clutch was really heavy, gearchanges near redline were a little sticky, and sometimes it was hard to get into first and reverse. I put on a BBK cable and tightened it so that I could smoothly shift gears. A day later it snapped. Got a Summit piece. Same thing. Bought a steeda cable. A week later, the rubber casing for the cable split and I couldnt disengage the clutch. Eventually I found out the pressure plate diaphragm had gone bad and I was having to over tighten the cable to compensate, thus snapping cables. If your new one fails, check the PP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
also, you have to buy the quadrant if you use the firewall adjuster. The factory quadrant is automatically adjustable. There are good and bad sides to the factory one. The good side is that you dont have to adjust you clutch cable manually as your clutch wears. The bad side is that it is plastic and can bend or wear down. As your clutch wears it will begin to tighten the cable putting pressure on the throwout bearing, if you dont adjust the tension out of it, it will eat up the bearing. If you do get the quadrant though, DEFINITELY get the firewall adjuster or else you will have to get under the car and adjust the cable at the end where it meets the clutch fork. IMO get cable, quadrant and adjuster.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man that sucks, that sounds just like what mine is doing, heavy clutch, sometimes hard to get in to 1st and reverse, and I've missed second a couple of times trying to shift to fast but never third, but this is the first and hopefully the last cable it has broken.
The main reason I think it's the cable is a few months back it was getting really heavy and scratchy / sticky and my engine bay was dirty so I cleaned my engine bay and for the next 2-3 weeks it was a lot smother but still heavy.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
probably just need a new cable. the ford OEM cables are the best IMO.

One of those + a firewall adjuster and you will be good for a long time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the middle of replacing every thing and I'm having my brother help, he pulled out the quadrant and couldn't remember which way the the spring went on. So after goggling it I found 2 install guides that said I don't need the springs anymore. Is this true? How do I get pedal pressure with out the springs?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nevermind i figured it out cause my brothers a stud but i love it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts