Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which cowl intake hood would clear an F150 intake?
How much taller is it than the windstar intake?

I like the Steeda and HO Fiber Trends but the pictures and the cowl heights I see advertised don't make sense. One brand's 2.5" towers over another brand's 3.5".

Is a cowl hood really needed?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
f150 intake is pretty damn tall... HOFT should fit it with no problem.

What makes you want that one?

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
+1 why the f150 intake and not the windstar kit?

·
Registered
730 Posts
subscribed... if you know some magic powers the f-150 intake posess

·
Registered
461 Posts
I swore someone dyno tested a mustang with both the F150 upper and the windstar upper and found the windstar was better? Search didn't find anything. I'll try google next.

·
Registered
730 Posts
maybe he has an F-150 intake already... and figures well its better than stock might as well throw it on lol

but then again theres probably a good amout of fabbing that would neet to be done to make it functional

·
Registered
461 Posts
maybe he has an F-150 intake already... and figures well its better than stock might as well throw it on lol

but then again theres probably a good amout of fabbing that would neet to be done to make it functional
Without a doubt I'm sure there will be some if not more fab work needed than that to make the windstar to work.

·
Registered
461 Posts
:faceplam

Yeah yeah. And stickers add 10rwhp each. And painted flames are good for 20rwhp.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Lol. must be true

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To clear up the mystery, I have a windstar intake installed on my car now. I have no idea if the F150 intake is better. It certainly is not the high horsepower choice.

I do a lot of driving from light to light and the possibility that the F150 intake would give more torque at lower rpms appeals to me. It has the longest runners of the factory intakes. You can change the IMRC switch point in the tune so it is no problem trying it out . . . except the F150 doesn't fit under a stock hood.

Compared to a Windstar, the F150 intake is heavier and conducts heat. But if it gives a harder kick when you put your foot down, sign me up!

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
whats the length on those runners?

·
Registered
730 Posts
i would love to know if the numbers make sense.... i could use torque :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
i would LAWL if he spends x-hours installing it and its just a big fat turd...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i would LAWL if he spends x-hours installing it and its just a big fat turd...
I'm actually worried that the hood I like won't fit over the F150 . . . never get to try it.

It will be some time before any such attempt. I haven't bought the hood yet. One idea long term is to put in the F150 intake complete with the rest of the 4.2L engine that goes with it.

Here's a pic that I like. It is the steeda hood, front view.

http://www.e85mustangs.com/rides/99GT_nose.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts