Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found some 3:55 gears on coral the other night and they are in perfect shape, the guy wants $100 shipped for them...would this be a better buy than buying 3:73s for $200

·
Resident Headbanger
2,421 Posts
i found some 3:55 gears on corral the other night and they are in perfect shape, the guy wants $100 shipped for them...would this be a better buy than buying 3:73s for $200
It depends on what other performance-enhancing mods you plan to do later on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeap its the big picture you look at, are you street or strip,i drove several diff mustangs, all pretty much similar. stick cars and auto's,the sticks in town with 410s way to much shifting,but the pull was crazy...373s where perfect but didnt pull as hard, not to much shifting unless ur johnny rev it, LOL thats why we drive mustangs:banana. the autos with a good built trans,410s all day long. the in town is insane the diff,and not bad on the highway.
the thing is if you have 273s which some sn's came with the 355s 0r 373s will be a H U G E ! ! H U G E ! ! difference. but like i said the big picture is what you need to look at.
what other mods are you going with in the furture?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
you wont feel much of a difference but its a good price

·
Registered
89 Posts
thats only between the 355s and 373s but like i said if you have the 273s? the 355s for the money.:drool .DO it. do you know whats in yours now

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ima talk to my dad about getting them, i have 3:27s on mine which came from the factory as an option, and the guy i bought the car from said he ordered 3:27s on the car

·
Registered
89 Posts
is it a auto,if so not going to be much diff from327 to 355 alittle but not much

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok then you will feel the accelartion gain.
:3gears

:shitbrick

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, alright just PM the guy about them..so how much difference will i feel with them/

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
itd probly be pointless to take them out without putting in new ones cuz its such a pain, but you gotta take them out your rear end and it should say the number on the side of the gear
so what your saying is, if i get bigger gears, my gas mileage will be worse?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Sorry this is off topic, but how can you tell what gears you have?

Having lower end gears kills your highway gears and I believe eats up gas as well.
Jack up the back of the car while the trans is in neutral. Spin the rear tire one full revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins. 2 and 3/4 spins, you have 2.73's, just over 3 and you have 3.08 ect. To make it easier just mark the driveshaft and the inside of the tire with a piece of chalk so it's easy to tell how many revolutions.

well the guy already sold the gears :(
Good for you. going from 3.27 to 3.55 wasn't going to be worth the money spent on the gears, clutch packs, and labor to have them installed. Unless your clutch packs are in good shape and you were doing the labor yourself.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i was talking to my dad and he had found a whole rear axel with 3:73s and the 13in. cobra brakes;both of which i was going to buy anyways, and its only $650

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if i would get 4:10s, wouldnt my gas mileage be even shittier? hahaha

·
Registered
224 Posts
itd probly be pointless to take them out without putting in new ones cuz its such a pain, but you gotta take them out your rear end and it should say the number on the side of the gear
so what your saying is, if i get bigger gears, my gas mileage will be worse?
Yeah I'm not taking my rear end out. lol
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure your milage drops. Not sure how much or anything.

Jack up the back of the car while the trans is in neutral. Spin the rear tire one full revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins. 2 and 3/4 spins, you have 2.73's, just over 3 and you have 3.08 ect. To make it easier just mark the driveshaft and the inside of the tire with a piece of chalk so it's easy to tell how many revolutions.
Perfect, thank you!

if i would get 4:10s, wouldnt my gas mileage be even shittier? hahaha
Don't get them unless you have an Automatic. I love how no one is replying about the shitty gas milage. haha

1 - 20 of 38 Posts